BACK40 returns!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is good to know! [emoji106]
I might chase up some BB7's to match those levers for a future build.
Pretty happy with the performance of the Aquila's on Back40, really nice feel...
Make sure they say "bb7 road" on them as the regular bb7 is a mtn brake for v-brake levers

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Make sure they say "bb7 road" on them as the regular bb7 is a mtn brake for v-brake levers

Looks like the Hayes CX range is for road levers too?

I imagine so, havent seen much from Hayes myself over the last few years. Imagine the CX designation is for cyclocross, and those guys use road levers and have been going the disc route these days. Much better stopping power in the mud and snow as compared to a rim brake

Cool thinking, but it would be hard to incorporate that with looptubes! :eek:
The 'separaters' go in line with your straight section of tubing. The rear triangle is all one piece.
http://savvy.egloos.com/m/2882615

The above is an older design of the connector like what Ritchey used, now sold by Chinese maker.

This design has more merit, and is Ritchey's new design. I can see you pulling this off fairly easily, once you get the frame and insert tube I.D. and O.D. down pat.
ritchie_travel_frame_0.jpg

This type of insert would happen at the seat tube and top tube junction, and the down tube and BB junction.

I imagine so, havent seen much from Hayes myself over the last few years. Imagine the CX designation is for cyclocross, and those guys use road levers and have been going the disc route these days. Much better stopping power in the mud and snow as compared to a rim brake

Excellent! Thanks! :thumbsup:

The 'separaters' go in line with your straight section of tubing. The rear triangle is all one piece.
http://savvy.egloos.com/m/2882615

The above is an older design of the connector like what Ritchey used, now sold by Chinese maker.

This design has more merit, and is Ritchey's new design. I can see you pulling this off fairly easily, once you get the frame and insert tube I.D. and O.D. down pat.
View attachment 43555

This type of insert would happen at the seat tube and top tube junction, and the down tube and BB junction.
I like them!
The problem I was having is the loopbars are one piece from the bottom bracket past the dropouts and all the way to the headtube, so they would have to split too...
I might work on a design that they join at the seattube and see how that looks!

'Back40' look like in a 20" version?

I present 'Back20'!

index.php
Back 40 on 24'' bmx style would sell like little hot bread imo ,
the build is looking sweet Luke keep it up :rockout:

Got the brake mounts done today.

I am used to making the IS style mounts, so switching to post mounts was a change for me, in the end I grabbed some 6mm extended nuts and used them to base my mounts off. Very happy with the results, no rubbing, perfectly centred and plenty of adjustment. I think I like post mounts now...

Front was pretty easy, just welded the nuts to a 20mm wide piece of 5mm plate and welded that to the fork:

View attachment 43244 View attachment 43246

Rear was a bit harder as it had to be mounted off the sliding dropout, but it ended up fairly straightforward in the end, I probably could have taken more steel out of it, but it needs to match the rest of the bike:

View attachment 43245

Here is the bike as it sits now, just need to run some cables, final test ride, then blow it apart for paint:

View attachment 43243

Looking forward to feeling the bite of those 203mm discs and sintered copper pads!

Hey Luke , i know you dumped a lot of time in to the forks but i'm thinking a good three inch travel mountain bike set up would complement the back forty perfect ? Specially given the terrain its born in ?

Hey Luke, did the BACK 40 get put on the back burner? *licks chops for more progress pics*
Health is bad at the moment, Back40 is still my first priority when things start improving though!
Hey Luke , i know you dumped a lot of time in to the forks but i'm thinking a good three inch travel mountain bike set up would complement the back forty perfect ? Specially given the terrain its born in ?
It probably would, but I am not a fan of suspension to be honest!

Hey Luke, did the BACK 40 get put on the back burner? *licks chops for more progress pics*
Sorry everyone, health went sideways there for a bit...

Good news is... Paint went on today!

2017-02-21 19.31.19.jpg
2017-02-21 19.31.59.jpg

I was hoping to add some extra clear over the top, even though that white doesn't need it, but ran out of 2K hardener anyway, so no extra clear...

Already dry, dries in about 10 minutes, but will give it a couple of days to fully harden before moving forward with it.

Sorry everyone, health went sideways there for a bit...

Good news is... Paint went on today!

View attachment 46290 View attachment 46289

I was hoping to add some extra clear over the top, even though that white doesn't need it, but ran out of 2K hardener anyway, so no extra clear...

Already dry, dries in about 10 minutes, but will give it a couple of days to fully harden before moving forward with it.

Paint looks good Luke, :thumbsup: Glad you're feeling better. Maybe you're inhaling too much of that 2K clear....that's potent stuff.
franco

Paint looks good Luke, :thumbsup: Glad you're feeling better. Maybe you're inhaling too much of that 2K clear....that's potent stuff.
franco
I always wear a mask! :wink1:
First......Welcome back

Now......Looks good, dig a white frame.
Thanks Falstaff!
Those wheels are going to look great on that frame! Nice to see you back in action Luke! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
Nice. Good to see your health coming back up :thumbsup:
Thanks Kel!

Latest posts

Back