BACK IN BLACK - Update 6/24

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be building my 40's Hiawatha (Hi-a-what-a) was a close second for a name) Tank, rear fender, rack, and chain guard are on the way.

I got a lot of work ahead of me....

1-4.jpg

Heres the pic from when I got it, you can see the original springer fork I'll be using.

f4b6_1.jpg

Re: BACK IN BLACK

That is the coolest fork around!

Re: BACK IN BLACK - Update 6/2

Thanks!

I put her all back together today and bolted everything on. Took a while to get that one pedal off the crank, lots of heat and pb blaster, but I got it. I wanted to mock everything up to see how it would fit. The original fork is bent, thats why I haven't had it on. I'm going to straighten it though.

Just thinking about those nasty gumwalls on my bike was making me sick, so I found a couple vintage ballooner tires that I had laying around, a crest deluxe on the back and a lightning on the front. Looks so much better. The chain is wrong ( I have the right one soaking in pb right now) and I threw on the mismatched pedals that came on it for now so I could finally ride it. Just riding down my block and back I got so many looks, even let one of the neighbors ride it. Gonna tear it all apart soon and start stripping paint.

It turns out the 2 rear dropcenter rims I have are slightly different, so I'm not going to use them. All I have right now is a matching set of 24" dropcenter rims, still not sure if I want to go 24x3 yet. Either way I'm going to have to build my own rims.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

Re: BACK IN BLACK - Update 6/3

mmmmmm m! Me like the looks of the parts comin' together! Interesting goose neck, the riser gives it a different look.

Jeo

leave it, thats rat. luv that springer

Outlaw :mrgreen:

I like the selection of parts and the rust that goes with then. Those fork are cool.

Rollin Double Sixes said:
I agree those forks are cool are you swapping the springer for the original fork? Nice start and good luck building your wheels!

The springer is the original fork. I took it off because the steer tube is bent and I need to straighten it so I had that rusty fork from the womens bike on there just to start mocking things up.

Love the forks! Very envious of the tank! Thinking of doing a custom one for mine. Can't wait to see where you go with yours! :wink:
L8 EM

Rollin Double Sixes said:
Ahh I see now. I should have read the very first post my bad! :oops:

No problem!

TheDuke said:
Love the forks! Very envious of the tank! Thinking of doing a custom one for mine. Can't wait to see where you go with yours! :wink:
L8 EM

Thanks...I've got some cool stuff in mind...

Re: BACK IN BLACK - Update 6/20

Got alot more done today. Finished stripping the paint off of everything. Frame is painted. Tank and rear fender are in primer and wetsanded ready for paint.

Don't leave your tank outside after you paint it! (See pic)

2-6.jpg

At least the paint was dry!

Sneak peek at frame:

1-13.jpg

Since that tank has poop on it-it's ruined! :lol: Better send it to me! :wink: Looking good!Been so beat up by my new job I have'nt had the energy to start mine yet! :shock:
L8 EM

Latest posts

Back