Back at it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obligatory first post. Was a bike mechanic in the 90s, then life got in the way of bikes. Daughter learned to bike last year so I dusted off my bikes and tools and am enjoying being back at it.
I've been rebuilding an old GT Dyno to ride around with the kid, but have been searching for an old cruiser to play around with. Picked up what turned out to be a Monark Rocket, thinking near the end of Chicago manufacture. Steel frame with at least 2 coats of paint, the last coat may have been brushed on, so thinking it's not going to have much resto potential. But fun to wrench on! I'll post some pics when I get clearance.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Here's the Rocket. The BB plate is missing, so no SN unfortunately. Might go klunker with it. Don't think it'll make it as a worthwhile restoration.
1fdb706e45754d7dd3951a5cc9304b7c.jpg
16ad6fc4e4ce2c1bf18cf93fd455bdaf.jpg

Welcome. My young daughters are the same reason I started riding and working on bikes last year. enjoy the ride

Plenty of good stuff on that bike, rims look good, fork straight. Perfect for a klunker or whatever you want to make of it. I'd like to see what's under the seat cover.

Looks like the seat Kingfish has on his latest bike. Except a little too far gone.

Welcome to RRB! :thumbsup:

The Monark Rocket was my first old cruiser frame when I got back into bicycles a decade or so ago. The last couple of years of Monark didn't have the BB tags... numbers were directly stamped to the BB. I think the transition year was '54 or '55.

Jason

Welcome to the best custom vintage rat rod bike site on the internet!

The best way, and the way many of us got introduced to the gang / vibe here, is to build a bike during the summer Rat Rod Bikes Build Off. It starts on May 1, so if you keep collecting ideas and parts and input from members till then, you could do this build in conjunction with the big event! It's a great way to get introduced to the builders and get some great feedback and encouragement along the way. Runs through the summer, so it also gives you plenty of time and motivation for an 'end point'.

Some of us don't take the whole 4 months to build our bikes , **cough cough**, so don't worry about moving along at your own pace.

Glad you are aboard, @davemn ! And, by any chance, does the MN stand for Minnesota? If so, I'm also a 'loon'. :grin:

Welcome to the best custom vintage rat rod bike site on the internet!

The best way, and the way many of us got introduced to the gang / vibe here, is to build a bike during the summer Rat Rod Bikes Build Off. It starts on May 1, so if you keep collecting ideas and parts and input from members till then, you could do this build in conjunction with the big event! It's a great way to get introduced to the builders and get some great feedback and encouragement along the way. Runs through the summer, so it also gives you plenty of time and motivation for an 'end point'.

Some of us don't take the whole 4 months to build our bikes , **cough cough**, so don't worry about moving along at your own pace.

Glad you are aboard, @davemn ! And, by any chance, does the MN stand for Minnesota? If so, I'm also a 'loon'. :grin:
Thanks! Yep, I've been eyeing the RRBBO to keep me focused on getting the Monark rebuilt. As I've been pursuing the other threads, I'm picking up ideas for the build. And yes, also from MN.

New to the group at 77 entering my end of love for rat rods
have had many for me, mu kids, and grandkids. Now rebuilding for great grand kids to keep it alive. Living at the SC beach rust has destroyed my beach cruisers so 10 years ago went East LA Lowriders all chrome 144 spoke, banana seat sissy bar twister handlelisting a 42 year old Killer Bee restored for my son’s grandson and my granddaughter’s Harley bike

Attachments

• 9A8F2AFB-717C-40F5-8C37-84C2409BE6E4.jpeg
    9A8F2AFB-717C-40F5-8C37-84C2409BE6E4.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 5882F0AC-6854-4117-85E5-AE41E22A9495.jpeg
    5882F0AC-6854-4117-85E5-AE41E22A9495.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 3403A82F-B32E-4789-A3FE-49696FE8B8CB.jpeg
    3403A82F-B32E-4789-A3FE-49696FE8B8CB.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 78
  • A20FD0DE-54DF-423F-960C-8109060B68B8.jpeg
    A20FD0DE-54DF-423F-960C-8109060B68B8.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
New to the group at 77 entering my end of love for rat rods
have had many for me, mu kids, and grandkids. Now rebuilding for great grand kids to keep it alive. Living at the SC beach rust has destroyed my beach cruisers so 10 years ago went East LA Lowriders all chrome 144 spoke, banana seat sissy bar twister handle
SC beach resident here as well

Welcome aboard @davemn! That Monark you got there is a fine candidate for a custom bike! I won an early 50s Schwinn for $65 at an auction 3 years ago that was in a very similar condition to your bike.
BFtD_Schwinn_Dixie.jpg

That bike simultaneously got me into this hobby, as well as this site. I'd also recommend joining The C.A.B.E. as well, as they have a ton of parts and projects for sale, and are a great additional resource for learning more about your bikes. A lot of folks here are members there as well, myself included, so don't be afraid to ask anyone here about navigating The C.A.B.E. The C.A.B.E. is pretty similar in layout and function to Rat Rod Bikes, but the biggest difference I've found is that RRB is more about custom built bikes, whereas The C.A.B.E. is more about collectible bikes and original/restored bikes. There's still an entire section for custom bikes, but nothing to the scale of RRB.

So, what's your ultimate plan for your Rocket? I came across the build thread just the other day, and I know you mentioned modernizing it, but I'm curious what you're plan is.

Latest posts

Back