Baby Blue Muscle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I had this idea to completely tear down a stingray frame and do a custom fab hotrod build. I little part of me had some guilt about cutting into a classic stingray frame; I feel like the nostalgic patina of the classic frame deserves some respect. For what I wanted to do I got a reissue frame so I would have no qualms about taking a grinder to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1567 (2).PNG
    IMG_1567 (2).PNG
    1,002 KB · Views: 190
First things first, I wanted to stretch the wheel base to make it more "dragster". I cut and welded new wheel brackets that'll give clearance for a single rear disc brake. (Yep there's gunna be a little modern flare here)

Attachments

• IMG_1556 (2).PNG
    IMG_1556 (2).PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
The problem with using a chinese re-issue frame is that you don't get those beautiful, smooth, brazed frame joints. So the next step is to cover the ugly welds with bondo and start sanding...
And sanding...

Attachments

• IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    278.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 193
@J-Money , nice start to a cool build!
Couple things. To get your photos to post in full size instead of the thumbnails, click on "Full Image" after you upload the files to post on your thread. Then we will get a better look at your progress.

Your internal cable routing idea is a nice touch. How did you cut your entrance and exit holes? Very clean.

We really dig it when people explain their step-by-step process, especially when they get good results like yours!

Welcome to the forum. RaT oN~!

@J-Money , nice start to a cool build!
Couple things. To get your photos to post in full size instead of the thumbnails, click on "Full Image" after you upload the files to post on your thread. Then we will get a better look at your progress.

Your internal cable routing idea is a nice touch. How did you cut your entrance and exit holes? Very clean.

We really dig it when people explain their step-by-step process, especially when they get good results like yours!

Welcome to the forum. RaT oN~!
Thanks for the suggestion; I wasn't sure how to get the pics to display correctly and sometimes I'm technologically inept. :thumbsup:

I cut the cable routing in with a drill, dremel and cutting wheel, and a round file. I'm glad it turned out clean because it wasn't a very easy opperation. Most of the work was done with the round file so it was a pretty slow and tedious process.

I laid down a couple layers of base coat. I have some wrinkling and runs to sand out but I like the color quite a bit. After I get it smoothed out and it cures I'll do decals and a 2 part clear coat.

While it cures I can try to figure out how to mount fenders. I bobbled the front and rear and I milled up a front mount. I haven't figured out the rear just yet.
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG

I thought that bobbing the fenders was going to be a nightmare but a dremmel and cutting wheel actually made it pretty easy. And those fatty BMX wheels are what I'm using. I really just wanted the writing. Too bad BF Goodrich doesn't make BMX tires; that would be cool.
EQZC9124.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG

Be warned: I'm a new builder, and I'm full of questions! I'm curious about the internal routing, never had a bike with that feature. It's going to look way cleaner than those cable ties. Will the cable be fed through the bottom bracket? Was anything done to strengthen the frame where the holes were added?

Be warned: I'm a new builder, and I'm full of questions! I'm curious about the internal routing, never had a bike with that feature. It's going to look way cleaner than those cable ties. Will the cable be fed through the bottom bracket? Was anything done to strengthen the frame where the holes were added?
The idea I have is to run a single hydraulic disc brake through the frame. I have some mountain bike frame cable grommets that will fit in the frame holes. The brake line will be steel braided. I wanted steal braiding mostly for aesthetics but also to allow for a little rubbing since the line will run through the bottom bracket and over the crank arm. I'm not exactly sure how this will work quite yet; I might rig up some sort of zip-tie thingy to hold the cable off the crank to alleviate wear. The brake I found is a rare low-end shimano disc brake. It looks VERY basic and kind of old-skool... perfect for a rat rod. I'll take a picture of it next time I'm in the garage. I sourced most of the parts from Ebay. Some parts are new cheap BMX components and some are antique. My inspiration for this build is a little from old cafe racer motorcycles, but more so from old custom bobber motorcycles. Hopefully, all said and done, this bicycle will sing "bobber"

I wasn't concerned with the integrity of the down tube. I didn't remove enough material for the 1" tube to be compromised. The chainstay was a different story. I wouldn't have cut into it if I hadn't already reinforced it by welding on the extended wheel bracket.
IMG_1556 (2).PNG
IMG_1463.JPG

Cool! I guess I missed the added support on those dropouts. It's easy to do when they buried under all the beautiful bodywork and paint. I should try paint someday.

Latest posts

Back