RRBBO13 Aztec Jaguar / 13th Mental Breakdown

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you heat and crimp? I can’t imagine you’re doing it cold and making progress unless you have Hulk hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not been heating the tubes...
But I have been thinking of doing so and I've also been considering making another crimper with a bigger pair of vise-grips. The Columbia I crimped before was easy, thin walled tubes I'm sure, as was the Rollfast I did. But this Schwinn is a new thing to me, tough, those stays gotta be thicker.
After the work I've done so far, I've also came up with another way to drop the rear end. On the burrito I built, I lengthened the tubes right behind the bottom bracket, effectively swinging the rear axle up. But, I've got to figure out the fork first because that height will determine how far I want my rear axle to move up, and will I be able to save my kickstand?
I feel a little woosey...:43:

Carl.

Last edited:
yoda.jpg

May the Fourth be with you...

Love that crimp tool. You should market that to Harbor Freight. :D

It fits but I want a bit more.
Another mockup... wrong front wheel, still not sure on the stock fork. It's nice enough, darted and chrome crown, but... Need a better picture with the stretched Jetson bars, I think they'll stay. Bent post by chop shop...of bow pedals, nice and ratty.
73db9d9d7e81c99723439bc7b31d2085.jpg
92d8e7665b89a35b0f292128004b0bf5.jpg
64004b545d6a815a468caf0f96845c5b.jpg
22abce31cfc654f7e0679294ec72ae44.jpg

Carl.

My brain is always cooking up something and I have the nucleus of an idea I'll share. Remember those old screw drive bumper jacks with a crank on top? I'm thinking of incorporating one of those into a bike frame allowing you to raise and lower your rear triangle, effectively modifying your stance from a low riding scraper into a comfortable cruiser or even a high clearance off roadster. I'm envisioning twin sliding rails, along with the screw drive, to keep it all square. It won't happen (I don't think...) on this build but I am searching for one of those screw jacks. Monday I may call a local auto wrecking yard...

Carl.

My brain is always cooking up something and I have the nucleus of an idea I'll share. Remember those old screw drive bumper jacks with a crank on top? I'm thinking of incorporating one of those into a bike frame allowing you to raise and lower your rear triangle, effectively modifying your stance from a low riding scraper into a comfortable cruiser or even a high clearance off roadster. I'm envisioning twin sliding rails, along with the screw drive, to keep it all square. It won't happen (I don't think...) on this build but I am searching for one of those screw jacks. Monday I may call a local auto wrecking yard...

Carl.

This is going to be one classic GuitarCarl build right here:cool2:.

Definitely another cool Carl bike!

The 'artsy' photo shows that the OG fork allows us to focus our eyes on that tank / stem / light / bars combo. The repop Schwinn kind of takes away fro that, which I find T / S / L / B to be the focal point so far.

Plus it has the chrome fork crown in such great shape. (I do have a second Schwinn fork that I may try and mod...) but like I said... If you have a repop springer, ya gotta see what it would look like on there... Now I know. The focus, so far... I'm hoping to pull off an amazing rattle can paint job.

Carl.

Last edited:
That is part of the fun of building these bikes. Throw something on, see if it sticks or stimulates another idea.
I agree with the other comments of the blade fork looking better than the shiny springer.
Love those bars!

Latest posts

Back