axle adjusters for rear facing dropouts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frame is made for axle adjusters which I don't have. Do I need the adjusters, or can i make do without?
Is it advisable to improvise somehow?

These are probably less expensive than the hardware I would weld together to make one but yes you could theoretically make one with a washer and a toggle bolt
IMG_20200927_111604.jpg

riding without them is a no from me, I kind of have a tendency to break cranksets though. the pisser is halfway through a ride when your tire starts rubbing on a chainstay. You really put a lot tension on the chain riding up hill and it pulls your hub out of square. i actually prefer the ones with wingnuts so I can cinch up chain stretch easily
10457540_921309114600976_757563483044154060_n.jpg

One thing that you are going to want to do first is straighten up those dropouts a bit. The slots for the axle should be parallel. Yours have been bent open like a Y on that right side dropout. You also want your dropouts to be flat and aligned parallel with the centerline of the frame (when you are looking down on them).

One thing that you are going to want to do first is straighten up those dropouts a bit. The slots for the axle should be parallel. Yours have been bent open like a Y on that right side dropout. You also want your dropouts to be flat and aligned parallel with the centerline of the frame (when you are looking down on them).
That's another question on my mind. Thanks!
How would you go about it?

That's another question on my mind. Thanks!
How would you go about it?

My method would probably involve a vise and hammer, but not going overboard with any pinching of hitting. Small adjustments until it looks right.

Thanks all for the info.
I expect my drpouts may need a different style than those from the link.View attachment 139764
There are several sizes for this type of adjuster bolt that fits your picture, 1/4, number 12. The adjusters people have shown above will fit, you may have to do a little file fitting but they work. Here are the same dropouts you have with rear adjusters.
F69A8B0E-174F-4793-BED2-16612F25825D.jpeg

Attachments

• 7562FF1F-36DA-4DD1-B43F-DC62ED04B637.jpeg
    7562FF1F-36DA-4DD1-B43F-DC62ED04B637.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 94
riding without them is a no from me, I kind of have a tendency to break cranksets though. the pisser is halfway through a ride when your tire starts rubbing on a chainstay. You really put a lot tension on the chain riding up hill and it pulls your hub out of square. i actually prefer the ones with wingnuts so I can cinch up chain stretch easily
View attachment 139753
Some of us seem to be hard on drive components! I have to run 3 piece bmx cranks and axle adjusters. I wear out chains stupid fast so I run KMC 410hd's.
My wife gets years out of chains....

Latest posts

Back