Avocado, first pics of the finished bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avocado, Mock Up with Paint

raggedjim said:
I like the idea of patina on the green paint.

Where did you get the flying wheel emblem on the front fender? I saw one like it on a German bike once but didn't know if it was original or an add on.

Thanks, Rg

I got it on eBay, actually. I probably overpaid, but I thought it would be a cool touch.

OneHorsePower said:
any updates ? curious to know what you decided to do :wink:

I've been stripping away at the paint, but it's slow going. I think I did my best paint job yet, because normally my paint comes right off. :roll: I'll have it back down to bare metal soon, and I think I'll be coating it in boiled linseed oil, and calling it good, though I might paint on some arrows first.

Re: Avocado, Mock Up with Paint

Over the last few days, I've stripped paint many times over, and when that didn't get it all, I finally resorted to a wire wheel on my grinder. It took a while, and it's not perfect (I don't have access to a bead blaster), but I've now removed all of the paint.

Next will be to coat it in boiled linseed oil, and I might later put some arrows on it, or something.

Re: Avocado, Now Not-so Avocado (Paint's Gone)

Frame looks great bare.
I could sit and stare at those bars for hours!

Re: Avocado, Now Not-so Avocado (Paint's Gone)

kingfish254 said:
Frame looks great bare.
I could sit and stare at those bars for hours!

Thanks. I feel like it just needs one more thing to sell it. I'm not sure what it is, but I've got some time, still. Maybe a faux-tank... maybe some darts painted on it. I'll continue to ponder it, but it's hard, as I have three customer's bikes in the shop, and those are the priority.

Re: Avocado, 90% done

just saw that beutyful emblem on the front fender :shock: its NICE :!:
also like the light , but i think the white and green deserve a ratty finish to match the rest
over all great build , looks spacious and comfy :)

Good to see the guard back on there. That works great. The cool think about this bike is that it looks bare bones, but at the same time it has a ton of details and "stuff" on it. Perfect mix and balance.

Looks great for just a bunch of leftover parts. That's basically the purpose of my build too to use up leftover parts and make something cool to look at and something that will sell for some good coin come August.

I'm stoked. After a lot of time spent mulling over the finishing touch for the bike, I've come up with what I feel will be a dramatic one. I was thinking that I would make a faux tank using old California vegetable wood crate panels as the tank (get it? Because it's Avocado). But I'm going a different route, instead. I've ordered one of these:

Chris (Crankset Leather) is determined to get it in to me before the build off ends. I'll switch out the black grips for matching brown leather ones (which I have, purchased for a different build, but didn't use), and I think it'll be a great center piece in what's otherwise a bare spot on the bike. It'll be the one and only piece purchased specifically for this build, but I really like the idea of it, so what the heck.

deven_science said:
Avocado won best of in the "Rat Bike" category today at the Bike Bash in Antioch, which came as a complete shock to me.

Congratulations on that win, Deven... well done 8)

Way to go buddy!!!
BRAVO!

Latest posts

Back