Austrian Built Sears 9 speed

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Imaginos, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Imaginos

Imaginos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CL ad says its made in Austria by Puch, with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub with 3 external cogs for a series of 9.

Looks interesting, but I'm wondering the 3 speed hub. Is it an SA, or something else, and if something else, is it something that can be serviced and repaired? Asking price is $120.00.

Chad T and RustyGold like this.
  2. RustyGold

RustyGold

It says made in Austria...I would guess its a Sachs. Both Sturmey and Sachs have/had versions that can be used as hybrid hubs...but, most of the early ones are home brewed. You can currently get up to a 3 x 9 from Sturmey and Sachs/SRAM.

Chad T and Imaginos like this.
  3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6

That is unique hub and an interesting bike. Working the downtube shifter from riser handle bars must be a bit awkward (but fun) .

Imaginos likes this.
  4. RustyGold

RustyGold

5. SSG

SSG

If you're interested you might try to negotiate on that price. They're cool bikes, but have some oddball parts, and they aren't rare or particularly sought after. I'd probably offer a bit less and see how the seller reacts. Once you replace the usual stuff like tires, tubes, rim strips, cables, etc you'll have an additional $50 or $60 on top of the purchase price.

Imaginos likes this.
  6. Imaginos

Imaginos

It is an interesting bike but I'm not much of a bike mechanic. Will probably let it sit. I've got a decade worth of projects around the house as it is.

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  7. Imaginos

Imaginos

Thanks. I'm pretty sure if I followed guitarcarl's instructions to the best of my ability I would only end up with 2 or 3 extra pieces upon reassembly.

RustyGold likes this.
  8. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

I love that frame though. The pool stick graphics and all. I've got mine put up, waiting to find a second one locally. I want to build a diamond stretch and save as much original paint as possible. That Steyr hub is a good one too.

Carl.

9. Imaginos

Imaginos

Alas its no longer listed.