August 6th - Custom Bike Show - Connecticut

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Greetings Rat Rodders! You're all invited to show off your best classic, restored, and custom bikes at BIKE FEST 2011 presented by Bike New London!

Saturday, August 6th, 2011, from 12 to 3 PM- Bike Fest 2011 will feature vintage bikes...

092009ftrides.jpg

Cruisers...

cruiseride06093.jpg

Custom jobs...

bikefesttallbike29.jpg

01nlratrods.jpg

Rats!
01rossdowntown.jpg

Bring what you got, show it off, check out the others on display! No entry fee, lots of room on the Waterfront Park. Enjoy the fun and sun and giveaways at BIKE FEST 2011!

See http://www.bikenewlondon.org or email [email protected] for more info!

--Rob Bareiss
Chairman, Bike New London

Now that is worth the price of ..... :roll: .......wait, it's free isn't it :shock:

I must check my calender for that date......I may have tickets for something at the Melody Tent. :( .
I'll get back to you on that event Rob. I'd love to get The Shadow out for that event.

Graylock

It'll be good to see you guys there! Bike Fest has been fun the last couple years, with all sorts of bikes and people showing up.

We also do free tuneups and repairs of bikes, just bring them down for little repairs.

bikefest2010repair.jpg

Last year's Custom Bike Show brought out a lot of local talent:

bikefest2010rrshow.jpg

This year, the small stage area will be under construction, but this is the view from the large pier we'll be using:
nleagle041411.jpg

New London has such a great old harbor, there's always something to watch sailing by...
nlharbor626.jpg

Stuff for the kids to do, and free helmets thanks to Kiwanis:
bikefest2010perfectday.jpg

And a ride at the end of the day for everyone to enjoy:
bikefest2010ride1.jpg

Email [email protected] for more info!
--Rob

bike_nl_color.jpg

Don't forget, BIKE FEST 2011 is this Saturday, August 6th in New London, CT!

12 noon to 3PM on the Waterfront Park, Custom House Pier.

nlcitylogo2.jpg
dnla_155-83.gif

The following events and activities are planned:

Free bike repairs and tuneups by our volunteers

Free Helmets thanks to NL Kiwanis! Kids and adult sizes while supplies last.

Safety Demonstrations by Safe Kids New London

Custom Bike Show! Bring down your RRBBO bike or come show off your vintage rides!

ratbike78.jpg

Pick up FREE: DOT Bicycle Maps, Share The Road stickers, Rules of the Road information

betterbiking.jpg

The latest Schwinn and GT bicycles on display from Terra Cyclery! There's a new Lemon Peeler out!

terrac.jpg

Bike Share New London free bike rentals

daybikeshare101010.jpg

Discount bike sales by New London Community Bikes- pick up a ride, cheap!

lovemybike1.jpg

Coasting Drag Race! Can you make it over the finish line without putting a foot down?

halfmoon062511.jpg

Group Ride following show to Historic New London sites!

Contact us at (860) 912 6882 or email [email protected]!

--Rob Bareiss
Chairman, Bike New London

Hey Rob,
I'm making a last minute decision to show up with my Tall Bike and
my knockoff Dyno Cruiser,my two Most Dangerous bikes. :roll:
Yes I will bring a helmut to show a good example.......Stevil
PS: Where's a good place to park ???

Stevil said:
Hey Rob,
I'm making a last minute decision to show up with my Tall Bike and
my knockoff Dyno Cruiser,my two Most Dangerous bikes. :roll:
Yes I will bring a helmut to show a good example.......Stevil
PS: Where's a good place to park ???

The Waterfront Park has some parking, about 20 spaces. Just the other side of the train tracks (i.e. 100 ft away) there is parking all along South Water Street and there is a large lot for a doctors office behind 258 Bank St. They are closed on weekends so parking there shouldn't be an inconvenience to anyone.

The road to enter the Park is called, poetically, "Bank Street Connector". You can also enter the park from the end of State Street and ride over to the pier we're setting up on- there is construction on City Pier at that end but the Waterfront is open there.

Look forward to seeing you! Call me if you aren't sure where we are: (860) 912 6882.

--Rob

Today's weather forecast from the National Weather Service, http://www.noaa.gov :

Saturday August 6th Forecast for 06320, New London CT:

Today: Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming south between 7 and 10 mph.

:D

Perfect day! See you there!

--Rob

Bike Fest 2011 was a lot of fun today! We had 100's of visitors throughout the day.

bikefest11bikenl.jpg

Kiwanis was able to distribute over 40 new bike helmets to young riders.

bikefest11helmets.jpg

The Custom Bike Show featured old bikes, new bikes, homebuilt customs, everything from cruisers to tandems to choppers!

bikefest11showlineup.jpg

bikefest11showbikes.jpg

The show attracted custom built bikes from all over the state!

bikefest113bigrats.jpg

Bike New London distributed free Share The Road info and State DOT Bicycling maps.

bikefest11safekids.jpg

Our repair stands were BUSY all day long. Lots of folks got their bikes tuned up for summer riding!

bkefest11repairs.jpg

There were reports of a wild man on a crazy contraption 9 feet tall... however no arrests were made in the case.

bikefest11stevil.jpg

The Coasting Drag Races were a big hit with riders old and young.

bikefest11dragracers.jpg

Ol' Skool grudge match?

bikefest11challenge.jpg

Our Fast Five winners of the day went home with some cool prizes.

bikefest11fastfive.jpg

Great day for bikes by the river!

bikefest11styling.jpg

bikefest11ratriding.jpg

If you were there, I hope you enjoyed yourself! If not, hope to see you next time!

--Rob

Thanks for sharing the pics Rob, looks like a great time :wink: I see my buddy Shaggy Steve went :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Thanks for sharing the pics Rob, looks like a great time :wink: I see my buddy Shaggy Steve went :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When Stevil rode in on that tall bike, it was like the whole show got quiet... every head in the place turned to check him out. That bike is crazy fun. I do need a chainguard off it, though, and I'm worried that it might upset the structural integrity of it... :shock:

Actually I was very surprised at how maneuverable it is... and fortunately nobody pulled right out in front of him.

It was a great day! :)

--Rob

Sorry Rob, you did ask for the guard and I forgot. BUT it's You , Jackie and others that work
tirelessly to promote biking,safety, and that wonderful city of New London.That pier is great.
:lol: I enjoyed your event ,our friends ,the bikes and the good work you all are doing there!!
Great pics, I think the great karma was caught and everyone should ride,Ride,RIDE! :lol: ...Stevil

Rob,
Thanks for the great day, especially after you said you worked 3 rd shift the night before. The weather was perfect, slight overcast, and comfortable temps with a nice breeze. Nice relaxing atmosphere and good turnout. Stevil, how was the MILLTOWN?? About 8 PM the heavens opened up and my windows were down in my car and I thought about you listening to bands etc. Not sure how many of those Hot Rods with their open air intakes etc were stuck there for another night. The rain just finally quit here, some 12 hours later.

Joe

Thanks guys, yeah after about 10 hrs of sleep I'm feeling sorta normal again. Working again overnight after all that was tough!

All my stuff is still in the van, so that tell you how much I got done!

It was a great day and fun times. The drag race worked out real well, with you guys going twice as far as I expected... made Barbara run to mark off everyone's distance!

The event got good coverage with a video on our local newspaper: http://www.theday.com
http://theday.com/article/20110806/MEDIA0101/110809655/0/FRONTPAGE

And the online paper PATCH covered us with a good story and lots more pics, including an awesome one of Joe getting the holeshot in the drag race!

[url=http://newlondon.patch.com/ar...wlondon.patch.com/articles/3rd ... -into-town[/url]

Glad everyone had a good time, it means the hard work was worth it!

--Rob

August 13th, we had a real good time with our first ever Full Moon Ride. We met in the evening at Fort Trumbull State Park and rode down to and through Ocean Beach Park. We rode to the furthest point of the city.

The weather cooperated a little, but not a lot. When the moon broke out from the clouds, it was really amazing. Hope everyone who went had fun!

fullmoon0813011b.jpg

fullmoon081311c.jpg

We'll do it again real soon!

Email us at [email protected] to get on our mailing list for future rides.
--Rob

Latest posts

Back