Assembly after Paint..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after your final clear coat do you wait before assembly?

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

Seems that clear coats are quicker drying; maybe six (6) weeks after the last coat, unless the clear coat was limited to a decal area. Otherwise, perhaps just be careful with handling, as maybe only the fork drop-outs and bearing cups have bearing surfaces with soft paint.

Wow, I don't think I have ever waited longer that two or three days. Many times only one day. :D

Wow, I don't think I have ever waited longer that two or three days. Many times only one day. :D

I've used some of the 2k clears before and been blessed with sunny low humidity days. Then I remember only waiting about 3 days, but I masking taped a lot of surfaces just in case

For normal spray can jobs I don't really care as much. Nothing is irreversible

Lacquer cures quicker than enamel. Like stated above lower humidity and warmer temps. expedite curing. Good conditions I can carefully assemble in 3 days (enamel).
My patience level can probably work with 3 days

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

I usually stick my frame/forks in the car in the sun for a day or two before assembling, but give it at least 7 days before assembling as well. Not oven baked, but the additional temp can help.

Latest posts

Back