As Seen on tv rubber in a spray can - inner tube subsitute?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the low pressure needed in fat tires, could that rubber spray be used as a inner tube substitute to save weight?

Use a bolt on schraeder valve stem with a rubber grommet for a seat. Spray the spoke nipples on the tire side. And a bit on the rim seam. Car tires are installed with some sort of gooey liquid on the beads to help seal the air in, use that stuff too.

Or maybe using 36 small pieces of gorilla tape over each spoke nipple would suffice.

just thinkin'.

rick

PS, another idea I had for that stuff was to "paint" the frame with it. Comes in white now as well as the traditional black.

a common way of running tubeless mtb tires is to give the wheel a couple of wraps of gorilla tape, pour diluted latex caulk ("stans") into the tire, air it up, and slosh the latex around until all the leaks are sealed. the tricky part is getting the bead to seat, and there are about 6 ways of skinning that cat.

as a tubeless sealant the spray might dry a little too fast, but i expect a sufficiently motivated person could make it work. you'd still want something like stans inside the tire to seal punctures or burps.

As fas as a frame paint, I always thought bedliner paint would be cool, so the spray sealant rubber would prolly look a lot like that.

Latest posts

Back