Armed services bike build challenge!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast guard, SAS, RAAF, or any other armed service inspired bike. I am starting on my army bike tomorrow anyway so I thought I'd make a challenge and see who else wants to build one.

Here is my starting point, I just came in from tearing it down, sanding, and getting the first coat down, I'll get some more pics tomorrow.
P8250123.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
I was at Wally-World yesterday and saw Duct Tape with the digital camo design on it and thought it would make for a cool military bike.
Yeah I've seen that too, but the residue it leaves is really nasty.

I wanted to build a Blue Angel them bike. Ive been idle for about 3 months now. But I need some motivation for sure.
My Pretzel Frame. Was free so I couldn't pass it up.
S5032311.jpg

S5032308.jpg

Sinner4 said:
I wanted to build a Blue Angel them bike. Ive been idle for about 3 months now. But I need some motivation for sure.
My Pretzel Frame. Was free so I couldn't pass it up.
S5032312.jpg

S5032315.jpg

looks like a start to a cool bike.

NEW PICS OF MY BIKE!
P8290172.jpg

Sargent First class bars found at the flea market, also have some in black.
P8290176.jpg

chain guard painted
P8290180.jpg

This rack will hold the ammo box storage
P8290182.jpg

Love this color and the coverage is excellent, It is Krylon Ultra flat Camouflage green.
P8290183.jpg

Lettering done and generator and lights installed
P8290196.jpg

P8290197.jpg

P8290197.jpg

The MP-714 doesn't have any special meaning I just like the way the military crosses the 7 and 1 and 4 are the easiest to do freehand. MP is Military Police.
P8290199.jpg

P8290200.jpg

P8290202.jpg

Sinner4 said:
So we have started then?
I have, I normally spend months digging up parts and then put it all together in a few days, and get the finishing touches done in a week or two. I build fast. You can go at your own speed, I was just thinking I'd open it up if anyone wanted to join in.

Ok, I'll start. I'll move the wifes car out and start. Need to do a bunch of welding on the frame to make it kinda look a Fuselage.

Sinner4 said:
Ok, I'll start. I'll move the wifes car out and start. Need to do a bunch of welding on the frame to make it kinda look a Fuselage.
Cool idea, I also saw this and thought it might be of some inspiration to you
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31144

outskirtscustoms said:
Sinner4 said:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=31144

Saw that. Cool looking bike. I'm just going to bend sheet metal over the top of the cantilever frame, make a couple of controls, cool bars to simulate the air plane controls, fins and a tail hook. quitting early, cant to till 1 am tonight. Post pic's tomorrow.

Sinner4 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Sinner4 said:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31144

Saw that. Cool looking bike. I'm just going to bend sheet metal over the top of the cantilever frame, make a couple of controls, cool bars to simulate the air plane controls, fins and a tail hook. quitting early, cant to till 1 am tonight. Post pic's tomorrow.

Hey I just thought of something I got that would be perfect for your build, PM me an address and I'll send it to you.

Got my Ammo box storage mounted and test rode it, Still need to hook up the front de-railer so it's a 5 speed right now, and need to hook up the front brakes. But I figured I'd get some pics in front of the tank. Overall rides pretty good but the seat is not comfortable at all. Fits with the army theme....lol.

P8300001.jpg

P8300002.jpg

P8300003.jpg

P8300004.jpg

P8300005.jpg

P8300006.jpg

Nice Back drop. The closest tanks to me are on the Nat Guard Base here in town. I think they would have me in jail before I even took a picture.

Well here is an update, welding as fast as I can. Sheet metal on the frame, new seat tube in place and the front simulated landing gear.

S5002644.jpg

S5002646.jpg

S5002650.jpg

S5002714.jpg

Sweet, that would be so cool if there was a way to make a functional springer like that. That tank is actually in our park! As a kid I can remember climbing on it, They have the top hatch welded shut so you can't get inside it...........Well unless you know where the emergency escape hatch is on a 1942-1955 M4 Sherman tank..........never-mind I've said too much. :wink:

I might be able to get to the F-4 Phantom that is out there but by the Base Museum during the day when I get this bike done

As an ex serviceman with HM Forces, i really enjoyed this bike. A lot of thought has gone into this. well done mate :wink:

canopusxs235 said:
As an ex serviceman with HM Forces, i really enjoyed this bike. A lot of thought has gone into this. well done mate :wink:
Thanks, I really enjoyed building this one. I have so many friends from high school that are in the armed services and I wanted to build a bike that looked different from anything I had seen rolling around here. (And needed to do something with the cheap junk MTB I had laying around. Eventually I'm going to sell this one and build another one that is 26" the 24" is a bit small.

Sinner4 said:
I might be able to get to the F-4 Phantom that is out there but by the Base Museum during the day when I get this bike done
That would be awesome. If all else fails there's always photoshop.....lol

Latest posts

Back