Arc Welding a frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi expert welders,
I was wondering if it is possible to weld/fabricate an entire frame using an Arc Welder.
Unfortunately I have no access to a Mig welder, those cost around $600 here, so it is out of the question.

As I know (now) Migs are the correct tool to do the job, but I´d like to know if the frame would hold the stress If I weld it using the Arc/electric.

I'd say no. The frame is too thin. I made a trailer and used .090 and still burnt through a lot At 75 amp setting. My mig was $600 also, arc welder was $25 at a yard sale. If you have no acess to a mig, try brazing.

I'd say go for it. It's all I have ever used.

MyWelder.jpeg

HandWound%20Welder01.JPG

You have to remember I'm a fairly dangerous man.

q.JPG

Graylock :lol:
TheShadow-48.jpg

Graylock, I was having a "bad" day.....Until I saw the welding mask for your pugs' mug. THANKS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Yeah!! But Gralylock, that´s not just any welder you´re using, that thing has a soul.
Have you seen my welding skills? Cause If I ever had them don´t know were I left them! :lol:
This adds to the fact that I´m welding with ARC.

Greylock, tell me which type of electrode you are using and if you have any tips to go around thin tubes without melting them.
I don´t give up easy, but this frame I´m trying to build is for my first motored project, it would be very an-cool and dangerous if it cracks on the road while I´m riding :?

Mostly everybody use 6013.Stay with small rods. They are for mild steel and then the next choice is the 7018 alot stronger ,but a bit more brittle. The way to get a better job is to be really good on your fitment. You can get by with thicker tubing and not be so precise on the fitment , but with an arc welder,you better have them really right without spaces and you shouldnt have any problems.
Hey Greylock my pug cant weld worth a darn...she burns holes in everything. :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Mostly everybody use 6013.Stay with small rods. They are for mild steel and then the next choice is the 7018 alot stronger ,but a bit more brittle. The way to get a better job is to be really good on your fitment. You can get by with thicker tubing and not be so precise on the fitment , but with an arc welder,you better have them really right without spaces and you shouldnt have any problems.
Hey Greylock my pug cant weld worth a darn...she burns holes in everything. :lol: :lol:

Yes yes. Pugs don't weld very well but they think they do! Good advise............I add to it, practice, practice, practice.
Also I have trouble with the chrome-molly thin tubing. I prefer to shy away from it but if I must I use 5/64 6013 rod instead of the 3/32 and cut the heat down, along with starting the arc on the thicker metal and leading the puddle to the thinner CrMo. I try not to rush it and only weld about a half inch or so at a time. Try to weld some tacks in like top and bottoms and side to side then filling in.

Gdcast..... my welder may have a sole of it's own but it got this way from messing with my windings to where it handles the thin tubing to my liking. I'm going to make another one when I find time with the free wire I collected and stack of microwave transformers I have already for the winds. I'm thinking of writing a thread on it when it's done if it works out OK . It's almost as fun to make one as it does to use it on the bikes :D

Graylock

Uncle, Graylock you´re years ahead, your work is amazing and is hard to catchup, but I´ll try to :mrgreen:
Guys, thanks for the inspiration

This welding thing had me really worried, bought the welder to build bikes, so I have to be able to do so.
Took the day off , and after spending most last night reading, youtubeing and absorbing tips got up early and headed to the garage.
After practising for a long time I almost loose a tear when I got a tiny little line of cents, then kept at it and managed to get a hang of it, well, sort off, then I moved to tubes!
After more practice, burning tons of rods, finally got to a point where I got happy with the result. Basically, I didn´t burn thru the tubes, welds looked OK and most important, the "7" shaped seat post I´ve made holds up my weight perfectly, didn´t crack!!
I tell you, if I hadn't seen Graylok´s arc welder, I would had sold mine, but his post got me confident and I´m definitely building this frame! :D :D :D

So... I'ma little dizzy cause of fumes, practically blind, run to the house excited like a little kid and I say to the lady: "Darling, you´re looking at a man who can weld" (all proud of my self off course), and she replies: Great honey, come help with dinner.

So guys: I can weld!!!! :shock: :D :lol:

Gdcast said:
So guys: I can weld!!!!

Thats nice honey now cook us some dinner. :lol: Women are so unappreciative of a mans talents. It was the same when I told my wife that I could finally lace a wheel. :lol: One good thing about scratch building a frame ,is you can choose thicker tubing. The top bar on the orange bike was 14 gauge. You could turn my welder up a bunch and really burn in some welds. I loved it. You might wind up with a little heavier frame ,but its nice to weld on something that you really dont have to be careful on. :wink:

is there a harbor freight any where near that you can go to its a cheap tool store and they have welding machines for less than a hundred bucks its flux core but it welds just as good as mig. the web site is http://www.harborfreightusa.com or you can call 1-800-657-8001 or get any hot rod ,rat rod or minitruckin magazine they have adds in them with coupons

A friend of mine once built a mountain bike frame out of stainless steel tubes and a arc welder ("stick" welder) back in the day. You can do it, it just takes a bit more skill.

Hugo

Oh I´m definitely doing it now.
Got confident enough to jump into this build.

Harbor Freight? Let´s see... the closest one could be in El Paso?
That´s only what, 14.000 Kms.? :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey im in elpaso ....we dont have no harbor freight ....in ILLINOIS anyway !!! i use a mig welder on my frames ..i used a arc before and it looked like swiss cheese...lots of fillin in and grindn ..whatever works i guess

Well, welding thin tubes with this thing isn't easy, I learned that you have to pay a lot of attention cause if you dont you´ll burn through. But Im getting the hang of it now, so imagine if I ever lay my hands on a mig! :D

I think my dual mig welder from Harbor Freight ran my wife and mother right around 250 five years ago for Xmas. It has since paid for itself many times over. I've only ran fluxcore but it's got gas hookups if I want to run MIG. They do have Fluxcore units for cheap also. Like painting, prep work is a big thing when welding. YOu could have the best welder but if you've got dirty metal then it's not gonna weld good or at all. A flapwheel, wirewheel, and some acetone. I've also heard of people using PAM for an antisplatter spray.

Latest posts

Back