Araya 26" Blue Rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Picked up an 80's Ross cruiser for $35 from an older guy locally. Had these rims on it:

They roll straight, and even have the matching blue alloy axle nuts & valve stem caps I remember using back in the day. Front hub is a "Sunshine" & rear is a Bendix 76 coaster. The spokes are quite rusty and don't seem to want to clean up. I'd love to get some SS spokes and swap them out after a good cleaning of the hubs. Anyone know what size / type of spoke to use?

I'll stick some decent generic rims on the bike and re-sell it, so these were essentially free :thumbsup:.

Yeah but the set is funny. The front rim is like others I've seen with a ridge line running along the spoke face of the rim, on each side of the spokes. The back rim has a flat spoke surface, kind of hard to explain. But both have the same Araya stamp, match in color, & appear to be similar in age.

I've flipped a couple of those Ross Eurotour bikes. They are nicely made and sell easily. Mine never came with sweet wheels like those tho!

The front is an Araya 7X (1980) and the rear rim is a 7C (1979).

Either the factory slapped what they had in stock on there or the owner bent one of the wheels and replaced it.

I have a feeling one of the wheels got damaged and they installed a replacement.

Both very cool rims.

Good score some white spokes would look sweet . Rolling on my space liner [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a5da23075fb328cbd86309cd6c22432f.jpg
b6ea46b1e791e0b1b01fc5449f3cead7.jpg

Those are some really nice Araya hoops. I have a feeling those labels didn't have a high survival rate over time and your two are intact even though the hoops aren't identical styles. I like the one you're running on the front a bit more than the rear style, but both are awesome. Would you want to trade them for a pair of blue steel Huffy Cranbrook rims?:rofl::grin:

Those are some really nice Araya hoops. I have a feeling those labels didn't have a high survival rate over time and your two are intact even though the hoops aren't identical styles. I like the one you're running on the front a bit more than the rear style, but both are awesome. Would you want to trade them for a pair of blue steel Huffy Cranbrook rims?:rofl::grin:

Hey I cheated a bit and bought new decals, 4 for $6 shipped off ebay. Would probably have traded you if I hadn't just sunk all that $$ into decals.;)

Latest posts

Back