April So Cal Rat Rod Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2040-small.JPG

What a day! My wife and I made it down. I parked a little too far away from where everyone was meeting and we had to ride into the wind for about mile and a half. Not good. My wife legs were spent. But we made it. Got to meet a bunch of cool rat rodders, made friends, and had a blast. Can't wait til next month. I'm sure the weather will be much better. :D 8) :D

Yes. Wind we had in abundance. We may have escaped the rain, but those pacific storms don't just go away with the rainfall. How windy was it? I saw a guy coasting uphill. Backwards. It was so windy you had to pedal to stay in one place. I saw a seagull try to poop upwind, and it turned the poor thing inside out. I'm tellin' ya- we earned some hard core points with this one.
We could have made the cruise to Newport in record time, and it would have been a blast (literally) with that storm wind at our backs. But we are a wise and prudent bunch (old and lazy?) and considered the dues we'd have to pay riding home with that storm wind in our faces. So we opted to start out by taking the wind head on with a shorter ride down to the wetlands jetty. It was hard work, but the ride back made up for it. That cold nasty gale turned into a big soft helping hand winging us along like gravity gone sideways. Again, it's the simplest things in life that end up being the greatest fun- riding your bike with a crowd of great folks, a stiff wind at your back. Weightless. How very like flight. Heading for a bite to eat on Main Street. Life just does not get better.

See you all next month- second Saturday in May.

OH Yeah-
How does this sound?
Staring with the May ride we could meet up in a new location where we can park for free. I love HB pier. It's convenient, and well known, but fifteen bucks is a lot for a day's parking. I'd rather buy fifteen bucks worth of food than fifteen bucks worth of space.

JWM

dang if i new about this i would have totally cruised through.. I live in La palma ,Ca its in between the cities of cerritos and buena park,ca.. let me know when you guys are going to ride again or maybe do something local.. within 1 more month or so ill be able to play music while riding got a big project ahead of me.. could use some new friends to help me out..

May 12 will be the next second Saturday Rat Rod Ride. I mentioned a different starting point-actually it's where my wife and I usually park when we go to HB:
Corner of Brookhurst and Atlanta.
Put Atlanta ave Huntington Beach CA in Google maps.
Atlanta ave dead ends at the Santa Ana river just a few hundred feet east of Brookhurst. There are a dozen or more free parking spaces on the dead end. This puts us two miles inland from the beach on the Santa Ana River trail. We get to the beach path with about the same distance to Huntington or Balboa pier. That will give us a little more flexibility on the route as well.

And I'm always game for a cruise on the San Gabriel. Mary and I ride the Coyote Creek bikeway once in a while, and Upper Rio Hondo is another good cruise.

JWM

Latest posts

Back