Apple Cider Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to me old stuff! Never thought I’d find a Mesinger M-300 in this red color...I had to. These were common on the Rollfast Skoot. Color is close enough...the other style mesinger seat I found is a gold red that clashes. Now, what to do about the bars and mounting?
121F0656-415A-464E-A728-D8AFEFBA2C04.jpeg

Moar spahrkle! Resprayed it this morning. I had determined that the paint was too dark. It was the red metal specks base. It looked too plum. So I sprayed silver first then metal cast red. Even without clear it pops!
0CF65C66-C603-4BC4-8E43-4E8781588CF0.jpeg

Spraying clear coat this weekend. In the meantime I changed the seat & wheelie bars again & tested them out on the Grape. Decided to nix the tall back...easier to get on or ditch if need be. Seat is super comfy & the kick up makes it great for balancing.
4990C3B9-2D2B-4484-8B4C-3BF3771CCCB7.jpeg

Crazy pop art colorizing to make it look like the red bike.
DCFCA06B-0078-4A45-8352-680690279B27.jpeg

Now I want to concoct an adjustable height sissy bar that slides up and down on the thinner front truss. The tubing for the truss and sissy bar are the same diameter. I need to find clamps like this one with a rubber grommet that will allow it to slide.
9DC34965-5654-49D0-A870-084E7F57E7D0.jpeg

Spare sissy bar for people with seriously long legs that I cut with no regard on some random creative whims...it is in the wheelie bar...it will slide down in the grommets and it miraculously matches up with the bottom of the frame at the axle and where I want it to stop at the top of the seat. Parts are lining up like the bike is building itself! It won’t be the tallest sissy bar out there pulled all the way up but it looks decent and won’t throw off the balance...aesthetically or literally and a usable quirky cool bonus. :rockout:
00C3DEB2-36D1-483F-B60D-AD7E77739418.jpeg

POP! Sprayed 2 coats of rust oleum clear for wheels. I’d just sprayed the whole bike and fender then went inside to get another can...and my camera. Got outside to find my wife raking the dirt and kicking up dust out there. Never seen her rake before and she picks that moment. Had to remove weevils from the paint and redo the chainguard. What was a job that was pretty much done at 10AM turned into the rest of the day. I was supposed to be diligently using that time as city planner for Lego Holiday Village.
C47F0AFA-FF0A-41AE-927E-A442DC6FF041.jpeg

Last edited:
POP! Sprayed 2 coats of rust oleum clear for wheels. I’d just sprayed the whole bike and fender then went inside to get another can...and my camera. Got outside to find my wife raking the dirt and kicking up dust out there. Never seen her rake before and she picks that moment. Had to remove weevils from the paint and redo the chainguard. What was a job that was pretty much done at 10AM turned into the rest of the day. I was supposed to be diligently using that time as city planner for Lego Holiday Village.
View attachment 145370
Yikes! That would seriously freak me out if someone chose to kick up dust and dirt right after painting something! Sounds like you at least got it fixed though, right?

Also, you like to build with Lego too? What Holiday Village sets do you have?

Chainguard is crazed...sanded back too far after removing plant dust so I sprayed red to touch up thinking it would be fine but they were not yet ready to be pals. The damage was already done, I was super calm...what’s one more crisis?

Showed my Dad pics and he told me as a kid he had one all done up in red with ape hangars and someone stole it. He later saw the kid at the golf course recognized him, found out where he lived the showed up with my grandpa and demanded the #$#@n bike. Got the bike back.

80’s LEGO’s rule! Here’s my Sleigh that runs on the monorail track!
34474F9F-C0D0-4597-A5BF-9599B6520874.jpeg
91BA2B68-38AE-4B30-A346-A851D5A7A1B7.jpeg

Chainguard is crazed...sanded back too far after removing plant dust so I sprayed red to touch up thinking it would be fine but they were not yet ready to be pals. The damage was already done, I was super calm...what’s one more crisis?

Showed my Dad pics and he told me as a kid he had one all done up in red with ape hangars and someone stole it. He later saw the kid at the golf course recognized him, found out where he lived the showed up with my grandpa and demanded the #$#@n bike. Got the bike back.

80’s LEGO’s rule! Here’s my Sleigh that runs on the monorail track!
View attachment 145474View attachment 145473
Hope you can get the paint worked out. That's a very nice shade of red.

Cool story! Do you know what happened to your dad's bike after he got it back?

You have the 80's Lego monorail stuff?! Oh I've got to see this sleigh in action now!

Rattle Kandy Red is best done in a controlled environment with adequate lighting...nope and nope. Proud of what I’ve done but man...patient cheapskates apply only. Light is the biggie and my spray window has been small. It looks good but it has been a slow process. The trick to making metal cast look even is to hit it from every angle in even passes. It lays strangely. Too little and it looks orangish. Need to do another coat of clear. Wasn’t pleased with how rough the forks still were...building them up with clear, sanding and respraying them. I’m actually toying with the idea of replicating kashima coating...might look nice combined with the trusszzz.

Can’t buff it yet...can’t put the decals on...can’t put the shifter on...can’t wait to see it either.
768407D3-7411-443D-A86D-4B7291EFD123.jpeg

The rear wheel is too far to the right & rubs on the fender a bit.
DB6999FD-6EF6-4767-8695-AABE73DD2C25.jpeg

Went with silver for the fork. Same silver is below all that red metalcast. Yup, swapped the repop Grape front wheel and brakes since this is a 3speed and heavier than the Grape to boot.
0E06F4BF-9620-4AB0-A6B4-4DFB91FAEEA5.jpeg

Not using the BMX tank on this due to the shifter but was curious to see how it looked on there.
21A504B1-5AFC-469F-9CC7-AC2077AB2EE5.jpeg
C9BB263E-4CF4-4F98-9A25-D2AB5BBAB460.jpeg

Thanks! Buffing it soon. I’m glad I did all the paint testing first. The first base coat red metalspecks was wrong. So glad I went with duplicolor wheel silver, then clear, then red metal cast color, then clear, clear, clear. I had great painting temps till this last clear which I will wet sand and polish off. Rust oleum clear enamel layed the best...gave me a great smooth base for the red color coat.

Last edited:
Finally got time to smooth with oooo steel wool and buff with scratch out.
D2BC836D-C4AC-49F8-9413-3396889F153A.jpeg
1690F161-832A-421D-9766-6B56CEEDF3B7.jpeg

Almost there with the wet sanding. The shifter needs a silver respray/installation, rear wheel needs to get pulled back, those will be done soon...might be able to ride tomorrow. The chainguard needs clear, decals...lights, head badge, mirror and we’re pretty much there!

Latest posts

Back