Anyone up for a tall bike challenge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
023.jpg

021.jpg

029.jpg

Here's a video link http://www.facebook.com/v/1953138680730

I took it out to the local race park a couple weeks ago and decided to update photos while there. Unfortunatley I didnt get to time trial it because I was having chain stretching issues and it kept popping off. I got to the bike store and got some bmx Z chain. Seems to be alot better now.
hhh2.jpg
hhh7.jpg

I've got a few questions, I'm building one of these with someone right now. Where do yall get the metal for the head tube, and how do you extend the fork shaft. I thought about just cutting it sleeving it and welding it up. Just want this thing to be safe seeing how a 15 year old is going to be cruising it most of the time.

YOUBUGME2 said:
I've got a few questions, I'm building one of these with someone right now. Where do yall get the metal for the head tube, and how do you extend the fork shaft. I thought about just cutting it sleeving it and welding it up. Just want this thing to be safe seeing how a 15 year old is going to be cruising it most of the time.

My head tubes have been made out of galvanized fence top rail, it's about the right size and seems to hold up very well. As for lengthening the fork, you are right on track, shorten or lengthen a steer tube the same way, here's an illustration I made to show how:

fork_mod.jpg

That is what I was thinking as well, hmm I think I have some fence tubing laying around might just be able to do this now. Thanks!

YOUBUGME2 said:
That is what I was thinking as well, hmm I think I have some fence tubing laying around might just be able to do this now. Thanks!

As for what to sleeve the fork steer tube with, I found that some black iron (gas line) slides into a 1" steer tube perfectly, is very strong, and welds easily. I think it's 1/2" but I'm not totally sure, I didn't go out and buy any, I found it.

Mine has been finished for a while, although not by the deadline. Anyway, I changed my strategy severely as far as correcting the fork angle. I was originally going to shorten the fork. I didn't want to sacrifice the height, so I cut the top bar. Then I put a sleeve inside the tube, and slid another sleeve over the other tube. Then I used a ratcheting strap and brute force to push the fork towards the cranks while tightening the strap. This pulled the top tube apart. Then I welded the internal sleeve, then the external. Now my fork is correct. It rides perfect now. I still don't like the skinny tires though. I'm starting on a different design next. One with a loooong headtube. The neck of these long forks is technically a weak link. It's fine for me at 175 lbs., but what if someone else wanted to ride it? Here's the before and after. Sorry about the night shot.
SANY0456.jpg
SANY0644.jpg

As soon as that spooky tooth hit the ground I knew the sound! haha It use to happen to mine all the time, but I've got it pretty well fixed now.

I was using single speed chain and my spooky tooth gear was multispeed, it was thinner and would dance around and eventually bounce out, so I swapped that ring for a single speed ring. You also have to make sure to jam it in really really tight, close to the freewheel.

HAHA, NICE. I changed that and i dont use that any more since that video. This is what i made and installed, it works flawless even with the 2 different springs attached. I just am lazy and need to go get a single spring but i have not had a single problem yet.. haha

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

I like the design of that chain tensioner, simple and effective, could be adjustable too. Nice.

For your mount and dismount you might benefit from steps like on mine, and cutting off the stays on the top frame will clean the look and keep you from accidentally catching a leg on a mount/dismount.

IMG_4593.jpg

i like the steps you made. Interesting. As far as the back stays. my plan was to make it a wheel and a hub hooked to a cog , so its a rear wheel and have a D.C. motor turn a gear and have a chain loop them together so it spins like a ferris wheel. Then i will L.E.D. light the whole wheel.so as i ride or even when the bike is stopped the wheel will turn like a lit ferris wheel. Since i am an electrician, this bike is called the "SEA ELECTRIC BIKE". Thats why i have the "SEA" made out of chain on the bottom bike. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT WITH THESE TALLBIKES. i will keep posting progress pictures though when i make mods.

I will make a mount/dismount of my bike soon, with the steps it is actually very graceful, makes it look really easy (and it actually is).

Latest posts

Back