Anyone up for a tall bike challenge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
more progress.
highhorse1.jpg
highhorse4.jpg

Looks good TTT! Is that black marker line where you're going to put the front of the downtube? If so, I like it!
I'm using bondo for the first time on a bike frame & I keep taking too much off when I sand... Hopefully I can figure it out, before I run out of bondo...
I'm also still trying to decide on a paint job... any suggestions?

Im gonna use a little bondo too. I think the trick is to sand it with something flat (im sure theres a name for the tool) I only need it for where my grinder went to deep and spots that I knicked with the saw blade. I hate the stuff but this is one that I want to look smooth in case I wanna put it in a show.

carvingbike said:
I love that song. Always have. I'm sorry I haven't posted any progress in awhile. I still have to dig around for wider handlebars. And I think I still might shorten the fork. Even with the 20" up front, the angle still isn't exactly where I want it. I'll know more once I get some comfortable bars up there so I can ride it proper and take some turns to figure out if it needs the fork taken down a bit or not.

TommyTwoTime said:
Rick, great videos! That triple decker with four frames has alot of resemblance to mine. The shape anyway. Its funny to see people that are alot like me with the crazy bikes and all. You dont happen to make skulls and skeletons as a hobby, do you? Your probably one of those guys that modifies and customizes all your stuff even if its brand new. That swing bike is awesome too. And funny thing is I was getting parts together for a bmx swinger that Im putting together after this build. I was gonna use it for the next RRB build off in May but I dont think they allow frame mods. Keep building the crazy stuff your good at it. T3
Thanks T3! I built that quad for a former neighbor. I call that style a 'double bottom triple stack'. I do like to customize my stuff, when $ allows... That's one of the best parts about bicycles compared to other things, they're relatively cheap! I LOVE my Carvingbike, I'm hoping to start up some slalom racing for swingbikes in my area, we'll see if it goes anywhere... I'd be happy to share my 'top secret geometry' (lol) for making a great riding swingbike whenever you get ready to build yours. It's really nice to meet people who understand how cool it is to make something with your own hands that can then be useful and a lot of fun all at the same time!
Rick

I ain't hatin', but that is a nice scrambler. I doubt I could hack it up. Not without spillin a 40oz for a fallen homie.lol There are just too many old bmxs laying around with identical framestyles

Its just a dept store schwinn. Its not a special bike in fact its really heavy. The only thing that you can call it is a survivor. The guy that hung it in his barn was embarrassed to ride it when he was a kid. It had 25 years of barn swallow poop and bee nests on it when I saved it. I tried to sell it and nobody wanted it, so....off to the butcher I say. Unless someones interested w/ cash this bike will be resurrected into its next life. Soon.

Pedals, crankset, seat and a chain are about all I need to finish. Its kinda bittersweet in a way. Glad to have it done and sad to have it done. Although theres still alot to do with all the goodies for it and I still have to learn to ride it. i could have it ready for the Ann Arbor/ Saline show in a couple of weeks but last time I had the skelebike there, they didnt even have a custom class. So It will be taken to as many freakbike nation events this summer as I can.
1highhorse9.jpg
2highhrs2.jpg

T3, The bike looks great!! The handlebars are perfect! The design looks more like something you'd see in a museum then a modern tall bike. It looks like it could have been sold to the public long ago, and that's really cool!! The only thing i would add is a small horizontal bar between the seat stays, just above the back tire. I think there is a name for that piece but I don't know what it's called... Very Nice Job!!

TommyTwoTime said:
Dude! Secret Geometry? I feel like Plankton getting the secret recipe for Krabby Patties. As I clasp my hands and wring them together. For sure I want to know. I've never made one so I am a swing bike newbie. Heres the frame Im using. Oh and you Schwinn guys dont be haters.
DSC01684.jpg

That is a nice survivor!! Is it root beer colored?
I've only built 26" wheeled swing bikes, but I think the same angles will work.
steering tube is at 69 degrees
pivot point is at 71 degrees
seat tube is at 74 degrees
The distances should probably be shortened in proportion to the wheel size...
The front section from the center of the steering tube to the center of the pivot is 21"
the section from the pivot to the seat post is 10 1/4". Most swing bikes either pivot off the seat tube or an inch or so in front the seat tube. Adding the extra length to the frame allows it to ride much more like a normal bike and when you swing it the frame does not get in the way of your legs or the pedals... you can't ride a regular swingbike like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpiQ2AKD1wQ&feature=player_detailpage even if you go a more traditional route that scrambler should make a really nice swingbike!!

Thanks for the compliments everybody. Carvingbike, I will definatley try those dimensions and angles. I want to get some chrome forks and mags for it too. I hope I can find some things in Ann Arbor for both bikes. I hope I can find an old brooks seat or one with nice springs for the tall bike. Well see.

carvingbike said:
The only thing i would add is a small horizontal bar between the seat stays, just above the back tire. I think there is a name for that piece but I don't know what it's called... Very Nice Job!!
Yeah I haven't added that yet till I figure out where the brake caliper is going to sit. Im not going to ride it without it.

Slow progress lately unfortunately. But not for lack of trying. Everything I have left to do requires funds that im low on. And then my machine ran out of gas. Anyone price argon lately? $53 bucks to fill my 125. What choice do I have? None! I did manage to get a better rear wheel at the Ann Arbor show. Also found a seat, but I think Im going to put that on my non build-off 6 bomber bike. Now Im working on getting a multi speed hub. I have a sturmey 3 speed but I think I want a nexus 5. Any input on these would be good. Also added a gusset at the bottom brkt. I wasnt satisfied with brazed joints there.
2highhrs8.jpg
2highhrs7.jpg

Latest posts

Back