Anyone saw or have info on this Phillips cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found at a yard sale and can't find any Phillips cruisers online. I'm guessing 70's. All it has is Phillips on it and can't really make out #s on it. Thanks.
IMG_20200919_134353.jpg
IMG_20200919_134344.jpg
IMG_20200922_175551.jpg

Nice, a cantilever version!
Most were diamond frames and some were camelback. Made by Raleigh of England like the Hercules and other names. They were separate makers before 1960, but your bike is late 60's or early 70s. Phillips was a good name brand. I rebuilt one for my wife 10 years ago.

Usually they were 3 speed, and the build date could be found on the SA rear hub. Mine was also a one speed but it had a year stamp on it. It was a 71. Check the hub shell for a 2 digit number.

Well, no luck there. It doesn't have a SA hub and I don't see any #s on this one. I wonder if it came with this one or someone changed it?
IMG_20200927_143229.jpg

that's the original hub Curt Caminer or old bike eu is where you should be able to find that frame number. It is a Tube Investments corp. frame and I think that one was made in Arkansas at AMF. It may be one of the last import models though. I cant remember if they called that a colt or a newsboy or paperboy or something like that

this one is a 66, there would be one of each of the Tube industries badges out there,. Robin Hood Herc, Phillips etc. I can't remember the years AMF made them but they made them too. I think it was in the 70's though. I know it is called a newsboy evreyone made a newsboy back then. Middleweight cantilever and had Dennis the menace riding them delivering papers or whatever. Merlin even called theirs a newsboy, this one is a little different I can't find a picture of my other one
6926626639_c4efde540d_b.jpg
6926602339_c0d4a589c1_b.jpg

Last edited:
this one is a 66, there would be one of each of the Tube industries badges out there,. Robin Hood Herc, Phillips etc. I can't remember the years AMF made them but they made them too. I think it was in the 70's though. I know it is called a newsboy evreyone made a newsboy back then. Middleweight cantilever and had Dennis the menace riding them delivering papers or whatever. Merlin even called theirs a newsboy, this one is a little different I can't find a picture of my other one
View attachment 139878View attachment 139879
That's a twin top tube model by Raleigh/T.I., it was a continuation of a Hercules design after being bought out by T.I. with the added intermediate bar because they felt the Hercules design had safety issues. The intermediate bar started in 1960.

View attachment 139878View attachment 139879
That's a wheel from a Sears bike. That would have been made in Austria by Puch. The original wheel was changed out. The Hercules would have come new with a Sturmey Archer hub. I had one of those Hercules frames, with the two tubes on top and one cantilever like that one. It was a Montgomery Wards Hawthorne but had the Hercules name on it also. I believe that bike is earlier than 66, the 60 Monkey Wards catalog show that frame, after that all I have found are the diamond frame models, no cantilever ones. It was made in Birmingham England, not Nottingham like all the bikes were made after 1960 when Raleigh bought out most of the English bike brands. It most probably is 59 or 60.
One easy way to differentiate the earlier and later bikes is the fork crown. The big chrome one is pre Raleigh takeover and the skinnier one is after the takeover that happened right around 1960.

That's a wheel from a Sears bike. That would have been made in Austria by Puch. The original wheel was changed out. The Hercules would have come new with a Sturmey Archer hub. I had one of those Hercules frames, with the two tubes on top and one cantilever like that one. It was a Montgomery Wards Hawthorne but had the Hercules name on it also. I believe that bike is earlier than 66, the 60 Monkey Wards catalog show that frame, after that all I have found are the diamond frame models, no cantilever ones. It was made in Birmingham England, not Nottingham like all the bikes were made after 1960 when Raleigh bought out most of the English bike brands. It most probably is 59 or 60.
One easy way to differentiate the earlier and later bikes is the fork crown. The big chrome one is pre Raleigh takeover and the skinnier one is after the takeover that happened right around 1960.
I don't have pictures here but I have explained it a few hundred times about supply and demand. I have had Japanese bikes with austrian hubs with j.c higgins on the brake arm. Just for grins since you opened your mouth
unnamed (3).jpg

I think I have a picture of my herc cantilever in here somewhere it's been six years since i sold it. I know i have a picture of it on face bonk and an amf but I am not opening that before thursday and I am thinking I'll stay off it until november

I found the pic of the 71 Phillips. It looks like the women's version of your red cantilever one. Two top tubes. This one came with a front hand brake but also was a one speed from the factory.

14uf5sl.jpg

Latest posts

Back