any shooters in the group??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carry a S&W .38 revolver with .38+p Critical defence hollow points, I keep Grandmas 20 guage auto with 00 for home protection and use a .30-06 150gr winchesters for hunting.

DSC00154.jpg

the one the right is to conceal and the one on the left is for when i wanna get messy.

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice, I have a trade offer on the table for a H&R Handi Rifle in .500 Smith & Wesson.

Questions
1. How reliable is the gun? I know the .500 S&W packs a wallop and I am wondering how this gun holds up to it.
2. How hard does this thing kick? I have fired 12 gauge, 7.62 Russian Mouser, but never a .500.
3. What is it worth used? I am a numbers guy.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a Springfield Armory GI Reissue 1911 blued with Mequite grips w/USMC emblems. Carry a Charter Arms Undercover Special 5-shot .38 revolver. Also have a Ruger Vaquero in 5-1/2" barrel .45 LC blued with factory faux ivory grips. I also have a c.1930 Stevens 520 pump shotgun in 20 guage and a Remington Mohawk 10C .22. rifle.

outskirtscustoms said:
Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice, I have a trade offer on the table for a H&R Handi Rifle in .500 Smith & Wesson.

Questions
1. How reliable is the gun? I know the .500 S&W packs a wallop and I am wondering how this gun holds up to it.
2. How hard does this thing kick? I have fired 12 gauge, 7.62 Russian Mouser, but never a .500.
3. What is it worth used? I am a numbers guy.

Thanks in advance.

The .500 smith is a magnum pistol round. To compair I have a 9mm pistol and a 9mm carbine, yes the 9 mm carbine does kick a little. As for the SW .500 in an H&R it would be sweet to shoot it. I have 6 H&R's. The only problem I have had was the trigger pull on a .223 was horible.

Now the kick on the 45-70 was massive with a 325 grain bullet. That one round hurt more than shooting 100 clays with my 12 gauge. I shot the 45-70 4 times and that was it for me....

Id take your .500 in a heart beat. I have payed anywhere from $125 to $175 from pawn shops to about the same on a private sales. 410/44, .22 mag, .223, .225, .243, 45-70, the 223, 225 and the 22 Mag all had scopes included.

On line there are a couple for sale, $315 is full retail and the two are at $240 and $320 and I think thoes are a little high priced.

500 sw vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkOEXdf0QG4

I like to trap shoot, my average out of 25 is a 22.175 which is great for my age, and i go pheasant, deer, turkey and squirrel hunting.
i use a browning 3" shotgun and it serves me very well

I just bought a cheap home defense pistol today at the pawn shop. It's a nice condition chrome Lorcin .380, Paid $75 for it. Got to wait for the background check delay and I'll get pics and see how it does at a buddy's range. Anybody own or owned one? Are they decent?

I have Rugers in .40 and .38 for carry, and .22 for plinking. Mossberg and Higgins 12 gauges, and higgins single shot and Winchester pump .22s.

I have a Glock 22 for my carry/ home defense as well as a Mossberg 12ga under the bed. I also have a Ruger SR22 and 10/22 for shooting my Bois d'Arc tree and making little holes in paper. My wife carries a Walther PPK. My girls are still learning gun safety and handling so for now they have Daisy Red Riders maybe next summer they will get their 10/22s. When I am shooting with them out on our land I will use one of my air soft or pellet pistols.

Just picked up my Lorcin L380 from the pawn shop today. .380 caliber, chrome finish, semi-automatic, peace of mind.

image-109.jpg

Anybody know what the best .380 round is for personal protection? A friend of mine told me the Winchester PDX1 round is about the best you can get. Any other good ones you've used?

outskirtscustoms said:
Anybody know what the best .380 round is for personal protection? A friend of mine told me the Winchester PDX1 round is about the best you can get. Any other good ones you've used?

Check out the Hornady Critical Defense, I use them in my .40 and wife in her PPK.

Hay Burner said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Check out the Hornady Critical Defense, I use them in my .40 and wife in her PPK.

I looked up both on youtube just for fun and found very similar tests (same material, same shooter, same gun, and all) for comparison. You may want to take a look. I was impressed to say the least. You may want to switch ammo.... :shock:

Hornaday Critical Defense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD4Z5hKg ... e=youtu.be

Winchester PDX1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJHlzJXD ... e=youtu.be

Well after seeing just what kind of crazy people we got in the world with the sandyhook tragedy, I finally got around to see what the local gun shop had in stock. Picked up a box of Horniday custom 90gr xtp in .380. These things look brutal but there are way too many crazy people in the world nowdays not to have something waiting for them.

image-141.jpg

Latest posts

Back