Antiques Roadshow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was watching my favorite PBS show last night. During an apprasial there was a bike in the background. I was all GIDDY thinking it would show up later in the program. Imagine my dismay when I did'nt see it again! :x :x :x It was white unlike the picture below. Was wondering about these bike's.(Bowden Spacelander) ie: Rarity,value, history and so forth. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

196020Bowden20Spacelander20MS1.jpg

L8 EM

SUPER rare, SUPER expensive. ive seen references of 10k for an original one
they were repopped in the 80's in a very limited number. The repops are rare and expensive also.
Spacelanders are my holy grail of bikes, i will own one. someday, somehow...

i dont think they could look much cooler, except with a set of moon discs:

TheDuke said:
Was watching my favorite PBS show last night.
DRINK!!! lol i enjoy that show also just don't let anyone know. i don't want anyone thinkin i'm gay :mrgreen:

TheFlyingDingo said:
I would pay money to see something like that
That sounds awesome

Pay up, buddy:
spcelndr43.jpg

i even like the pink! :shock:

Effing SWEET. EVEN IF ITS PINK!!!!!!! Lol. My dad always watches that ...... show. I hate it, Only because i cant talk when its on.. Idk lol

I just bought an early 50's JC Higgins Color Flow from a retired guy here in Cleveland who decided it's time to thin out his bicycle collection. He's got a Spacelander autographed by Bowden himself, but he wants about $18,000 for it. He's got a bunch of bikes that might be of interest to a collector, but they're mostly finished bikes. Luckily for me, he never had time for the Color Flow.

heyyy, more info on this guy in cleveland please =]

He said he got into restoring bikes when he first retired about 20 years ago and now he decided to sell them off. He was really nice and said he had a "basement full of bikes". What I saw was in his garage, which was:

-A red & white Schwinn Whizzer which had been modified to go wayyyyyyyy past 25 mph by a heck's Angel. Great shape. 1 fender ding, 1 mismatched paint spot from a previous owner, and the engine needed tuning up as I would imagine small engines like this normally do, but overall, a sweet Whizzer.
-A men's coppertone Typhoon, partially restored, stainless steel fenders.
-An immaculate cruiser I'd never seen before, I think the brand was an Emory, if that rings a bell with anyone. Looked brand spankin' new.
I'm guessing the year, but the body style was a that of a 72 Chevy Nova, with a rebuilt and squeeky clean 454. Great shape, original paint and interior, a little dusty. Said it hadn't been run this year yet.

I never saw the contents of the basement but he talked about the Bowden quite a bit and said he's got an original Pea Picker down there that he wants about $700 for. Everything is for sale, including the Nova. He knows a lot of people in the resto community if someone is looking for a rebuilt headlight, NOS headbadge, or that kind of thing. Like most all vintage bike collectors, he's super cool, friendly, and absolutely loves bikes.

If you guys want I can send him an email and see if he'd like his email address or thread posted on this forum. I don't think you'll get one of those super-cheap deals because he knows bikes, but he's also got a great eye for them and you might find a rare or unusual bike with a lot of character that you'd be willing to pay the price for.

hehe, in my pre-Cleveland days I lived in Kansas. Rural Kansas. I actually liked it out there. Now I'm in downtown Cleveland, talk about a 180. Madison, WI, was nice too, and really the best of both worlds.

The gentleman with the bikes was near Independance. I'm still learning the townships and all, but it was fairly close to 77, 71, and 480. I remember thinking it would be a good location to live in.

Latest posts

Back