another hicago schwinn - i think -

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up some time ago- just now had the chance to research it
-frame has been spray bombed red , but it looks to be a chicago schwinn from the headbadge , but its very lightweight - i can make out the words schwinn and traveler under the paint - think american made ? or tiwan?

headbadge
007_zpse31251b7.jpg

headbadge number - either 0113 0r 0773 - cant tell
025_zps75dcbf3f.jpg

serial number
021_zpse0b40878.jpg

020_zpsc744c2a4.jpg

sugino cranks
013_zps5d82ed3a.jpg

030_zps891785ed.jpg

how correct is the information on the bottom of this page ?

http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

if it is - i think its a giant made bike , tiwan ?

when did they begin making bikes in tiwan ? anyone know for sure ? has to be one the first ones, no ?

quality of the sugino crankset?

i didnt get a derailuer with it ,or shifters , anyone know what it would have had ?

I'm no authority on identifying bikes at all but I believe it is a Giant made in Taiwan just by looking at the pics. My reasoning is I think all the chromoly steel Schwinn frames were made by Giant.

thanks - i like the lug frame - big fan of the look - and the weight is less than half of my 76 chicago schwinn , considering building it as a road bike cause of the weight aspect , once i get some opinions of the quality of this frame - ect... are the sugino cranks quality or junk ? if i do build it as a road bike, i want to combine modern accessories to this beautiful lug frame , and updated look ....

i assume the headbadge is rivited on ? id like to remove it for paint purposes , but if i drill out the rivits , how do i reattach it once im done ? what kind of rivits are these ?

The front axle is a quick release unit with parts (skewer and springs) missing. the nuts are supposed to be inside the drop-outs and turned around to lock the inner races.

if the headbadge numbers are the date - they dont jive with the giant serial number on the crank - any clue on the explanation on that ?

The front axle is a quick release unit with parts missing. the nuts are supposed to be inside the drop-outs and turned around to lock the inner races.
can you show me what i am missing so i can try and find that stuff ? thanks .

picked up another just a few minuites ago ..... serial number on headtube is KH062869 - ladies varsity in campus green - look like was hit by a car , but frame is ok , mostly rear wheel dammage .... pics to follow

048_zps0e26a157.jpg

045_zpse12093d3.jpg

039_zps132190e3.jpg

038_zpsd8275992.jpg

am i correct in that this is a 1972 bike ?

most accessories say schwinn approved _ also rear tire looks different

Last edited:
there is no chain on the bike - and the rear tire appears to be solid- can someone enlighten me about these ? I've not run into them before - same wheel as regular ? Can be replaced with standard tube- tire set up ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back