Another build by Curtis Odom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike was built from cheap heavy mild steel just to see if I could do it.
The rear dropouts were cut from 1/4" steel plate with a Porter-Cable Jig Saw (I recommend doing this). The tubes were bent on wood fixtures. All the tube mitering was done with hole saws. A wood welding fixture was built.

Complete painted frame with stock fork:
SPEC-FRAME-01.jpg

Seat cluster:
SPEC-FRAME-04.jpg

Rear stays and dropouts:
SPEC-FRAME-02.jpg

Some parts and bending fixtures:
SPEC-FRAME-05.jpg

It doesn't get much better than that. Welds are perfect. How much could you bend a tube over the wooden forms without it kinking?

The tube bending forms are two pieces. They have a 1"diameter groove milled in each side and then they are screwed together. This leaves a nice groove to bend the tubes in. If the tubing is annealed you can get a fairly tight radius with kinking them. It is also very cheap.

I built this as part of a design project for a major American bicycle company. I sold them the frame and a stack of design drawings for the parts and accessories. This was some time ago, before the currant big boom. They led the way by adopting some of my design ideas into their components. Last I saw the frame it was collecting dust in a store room. By the way I am not a professional frame builder, but I do have loads of industry experience.

It does look a lot like Gary Fishers bike, but both have Schwinn DNA. They are both close to the same age. I think mine predates his by a year.

Latest posts

Back