Another BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday struck and I got weak in the knees for another steed. I bought a GT Globetrotter in a funky greeny/gold metallique transparent colour. Love the warning on the top tube “metal may oxidize under coating”.

I found a 9 tooth driver Tuff Wheel set. That is amazing. I bought a whole mess of mint green grips. Purple head set will match the purple brake lever. Some nice Eastern alloy pedals I got for half price screwed into the Sunday/Odyssey crank. I don’t know how the no rake Rant fork will work out; hopefully it isn’t too squirrelly. Waiting on my front brake converter so I can run brakes on my fork.

Here she is so far:
184A2CFA-2C48-4EDF-AB64-94E458F8047A.jpeg

Wasn't aware the mags came with modern hubs. love that type fork, takes some getting used to.

You need to get some quality whitewall streets and lose the Duro slicks. Slow and no anti puncture guard whatsoever.

Wasn't aware the mags came with modern hubs. love that type fork, takes some getting used to.

You need to get some quality whitewall streets and lose the Duro slicks. Slow and no anti puncture guard whatsoever.

I would if I were to ride as intended. Tyres tend to be something I switch often.

Cousin Bunnyman:
Interesting warning label. All the labels I've seen have to do with wearing a helmet, not going offroad, not doing tricks, and/or not riding after dark. I can understand what to do or not to do relative to the latter (whether I want to comply or not), but I'm not sure what to do to prevent the metal from oxidizing under the coating. Maybe don't ride in the rain? Don't sweat while riding?

About the picture that you posted: are you thinking of developing a bike/cricket hybrid sport? Bike polo is still around here and there, as is cycle-ball (soccer on bikes).
Have fun!

Cousin Bunnyman:
Interesting warning label. All the labels I've seen have to do with wearing a helmet, not going offroad, not doing tricks, and/or not riding after dark. I can understand what to do or not to do relative to the latter (whether I want to comply or not), but I'm not sure what to do to prevent the metal from oxidizing under the coating. Maybe don't ride in the rain? Don't sweat while riding?

About the picture that you posted: are you thinking of developing a bike/cricket hybrid sport? Bike polo is still around here and there, as is cycle-ball (soccer on bikes).
Have fun!

LOL in my fake ice rink where there is lots of light!

LOL in my fake ice rink where there is lots of light!
Ha ha! I thought the items in the background were a cricket bat and batting pads. Hockey might provide even more ideas for combining with bikes. Kinda like roller hockey. Pretty close to bike polo.

The no-rake fork makes ZERO difference. I actually feels this bike felt super comfy. I dig it!

On the subject of front only brakes: that is home. The bike stops beautifully like that! This leads to one question: why on G’ds green Earth did we make it acceptable to never teach the kids how to properly brake on a bicycle? Rear only braking literally makes for worn out tyres and skidding all over the place. I suppose if you’re trying to do a bit of drifting on loose dirt tracks, it makes sense; on the street, it literally makes ZERO sense! That being said, the Redline that is being re worked for my wife will only have a rear brake as she would be scared to flip over the handlebars. I admit that I did not learn how to properly brake until I became a serious road rider. My front pads ALWAYS needed replacement.

There are other occasions where rear biased braking is a good idea
Agreement-FB.jpg

Cycling is a dynamic activity, different situations call for different techniques. I tend to hit the rear first to shift the weight forward and compress the fork a bit before putting the big squeeze on the front brakes. Over the bars was a real issue for older mountain bikes, my technique seems to have lessened these for me.* Many bikes don't even have front brakes, not too many with only front brake.

*My experience only, not an expert! Results may vary

Last edited:
There are other occasions where rear biased braking is a good idea
View attachment 146054
Cycling is a dynamic activity, different situations call for different techniques. I tend to hit the rear first to shift the weight forward and compress the front fork a bit before putting the big squeeze on the front brakes. Over the bars was a real issue for older mountain bikes, my technique seems to have lessened these for me.* Many bikes don't even have front brakes, not too many with only front brake.

*My experience only, not an expert! Results may vary

If this were being used for the intended purpose, it would be a whole different circumstance. I understand your point. And I should clarify: most riding on the street. Flipping over the bars can be a concern. Of course riding a motorcycle also made me a front brake first guy and I install brake levers on the right hand, whether for front or rear brakes.

By the way- I appreciate that you make me elaborate more than expect the world to know my mental shorthand. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back