Another Beast Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im roughly copying an Ellsworth Epiphany. But its tough because of the longer chainstays of the fatbike.

Tonight I finalized my geometry and did a test run with some scrap steel. Here's a pic:

D31D814B-9F28-4360-8C0B-1BF6F78FDCFF-5266-000007B3F5001CF5_zps20167911.jpg

And a video of it in action:

Thanks! I would love to find a way to get that much travel from my fork, but I think thats going to have to be another project for another time!

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And its EPIC!!!!!!!!

Im so stoked right now!

Its got a full 7" of rear travel. I took a 15 inch drop from my neighbors yard to mine, sitting down, it absorbed the hit no problem, and still had plenty of travel left!

I had to ditch the seat post QR and put a new collar on so the bolt would be in front, but thats about it. OH, ITS 53 LBS!!!! only 4.5lbs heavier than stock though.

PICS:

IMG_1843_zpsdbe8c8e0.jpg

IMG_1847_zps468e4116.jpg

Now I need to give it a paint job and a name. Im thinking FATSWORTH, since it kinda looks like an Ellsworth design...

Thanks! Ya the rear suspension is buttery smooth and works amazing. The front is pretty good too, but I need to get thinner oil for the shock, and I need to make the links a bit longer.

I just purchased a beast last week. I have been searching far and wide for different ideas for mods, and I must say..... You have set the bar! That bike is as cool as it gets. Congrats man, Great job

Thanks! I am leaving tomorrow for Nevada. Going to take the Beast and my Yeti to Bootleg Canyon to ride.

If you haven't heard of Bootleg, check out this Video:

not my video, just one I found on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRMiyiF120

This will give me a chance to REALLY push this bike. Once I know its solid, Im going to finish it!

Looks like an awesome trail ride! I did this same ride on Grand theft auto 5. :mrgreen: Just watch those tight turns because you don't have a reset button and a big drop like that would hurt.

I am thinking of making version 2 of my fork. I am shooting for 7" travel. The rear of this bike is SO plush, and the front is good, but it could be way better!

I did some messing around last night with some scrap steel, and I can easily get the travel using a spare Fox Float R shock that I have and links that are 3 inches longer than the ones I have.

The problem with the longer links is that it will lift the front of the bike 3 inches higher than it is. And its already TALL! I have the room to shorten the legs about 1 1/2 inches, to bring the front down a bit. That means I would have to make new legs too!

SO Im thinking:
1. If I need to make new links AND legs, why not just make a whole new fork?
2. I can't weld aluminum yet, so would 1 inch .065 tubing be strong enough for the legs? It would be about 1.5 lbs lighter
3. Would 3/8 aluminum pins between the legs be string enough? Right now they are 1/2 inch.
4. Would 3/8 steel pins be strong enough for the shock mount pins.
5. Where can I get a steerer tube?
6. Is a linkage fork with 7" of travel going to be totally unrideable with the amount of rake its going to go thru during travel?
7. Are there any examples of long travel linkage forks? Should I do a total design change?

Sorry for the long post, but I need input.

WOW, I totally missed all of the rear end work you've done!
BRAVO MAN!!

Latest posts

Back