an oldie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I just got this frame, an Iver Johnson, maybe from the 1920's, and I am mocking it up with some loose parts. Don't know what I want to do with it yet, will take ideas.

P1010082.jpg

nice find!
I found an early frame too
Picture013.jpg

and I got messing with it and I think it had 28 inch tires originally and I might cut down a varsity fork I have to fit it and then run mid 60s raliegh 26 x 3/8 wheels and sturmey archer 3 speed i even thought of making it a fixed gear

Looks good! I got a set of skiptooth 26 x 1 3/8 wheels, skiptooth chain, and nice leather touring style seat!

the tires got spraypainted silver but the wheels are black.
12-10-061033.jpg

12-10-061034.jpg

12-10-061035.jpg

Here is the chain.
12-10-061032.jpg

and a seat similar (not quite but similar) to this:
12-10-06011.jpg

this might sound dumb..
but I looked at the Picture for about 10
minutes thinking..
and ...what doe you think it would look like
with a set of Vintage Road Bike Bars.

make it a Vintage Road Bike..
it would work well if you Nail the
colors right..like
"Paper Bag Brown/Tan" rims with all Black
rubber( no-righting on the Rubber ) and
maybe an off-white( lighter than the wheels ) on the frame.

just my 2 cents.

peace,
Kev.

Well I have a couple of fixed gear skip tooth cogs and a chain on order from dumpsterdiver and I am thinking of a fixed gear road/trail bike. I managed to find a drum front brake because while I like fixed gears I am not totally crazy to go without a brakes. I want a seat with springs and fat-ish and knobby-ish tires. I have 27 inchers on it now but I might endup with 700's for the tire choice.

whatever you do, do not cut that frame and save the old parts. that is a very very rare bike and is worth a lot of money. i know us in the rat bike world could really care less but that is a rare bike and iver johnsons make say 1934 schwinn areo cycles look common just not worth quite as much. i really like the direction your going with it though.

Nice frame!!!. I love the look of those old frames. The double tube is interesting on this one. Some day I will find a bike like that.

karfer67 said:
whatever you do, do not cut that frame and save the old parts. that is a very very rare bike and is worth a lot of money. i know us in the rat bike world could really care less but that is a rare bike and iver johnsons make say 1934 schwinn areo cycles look common just not worth quite as much. i really like the direction your going with it though.

Well I have seen a restored Iver Johnson that the owner claimed was worth $4000, and I have also seen a complete unrestored mint Iver Johnson for $600 (both truss frames). This frame/fork/BB is in pretty rough condition and I think it would be better to fix it up as a rider rather than a restoration, and enjoy it.

Do not worry the frame will be preserved.

thats all i mean i like the idea of making it a rider i have never had a chance to ride a bike of that vintage i am sure it will be very cool when compleated!

Nice Iver you got there! :D I would love to have that frame! As most know, Im slowly becoming an antique bike freak! LOL! :lol: anyways, here are two wood wheels that I have and Im almost sure Im not going to use as I decided to go with newer wheels for my Racycle so I can take her for a spin every once and a while, Im not to big anymore on trying to rebuild a bike in mint all orig condition anyways, so here they are, if you need/want them just make me a reasonable offer, the front wood rim is in pretty good shape, but the rear wood rim needs help, the rear hubs in good shape though, and note that it is a skip link :mrgreen: not to mention its a New departure Model "A" hub, the front hub may need new bearings or an adjustment, or both! LOL! They are 28" and will fit your bike fine, also note the adjustable screw on the brake arm! Cool huh!?
P1281305.jpg

P1281304.jpg

P1281303.jpg

P1281302.jpg

P1281299.jpg

P1281295.jpg

if u decide to go for th 28'' wheels, i got a set of tires for them.

ANT CYCLES

I am aware of the ANT Major Talor frame, it is what inspired me to find a
truss framed bike, as well as Sheldon Browns Mead Ranger:
http://sheldonbrown.com/ranger.html
ranger-duck.jpeg

I like the Ant bike and I am looking to create my own version with fixed
gear, drum brake, and modern rims and tires.

First though I have to remove rust!

Cman, that is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. I just can't stop looking at that picture. It is the perfect balance of old and new. The simplicity of it also contributes greatly to it's beauty. If I may resume...wow!

you like the black and red ANT bike, you will love this,

copperbig.jpg

Yes that is copper plate on the bike.

Latest posts

Back