AMF Roadmaster but what model?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched google images, I've found a few different models under the name, Skyrider, Discoverer, Satellite, Jet Pilot. I know it's from the 58-63 era.

Some have the star chainring, some don't and the chain guard I have was seen only on one of them.

P_20201113_163134.jpg

So, I'm guessing mine is a Jet Pilot, going by this picture? Looks like its got the same rear rack as mine too..Though I noticed the cantilever tubes on mine have a shorter distance between them and the head tube. My bike also came with a standard sized 26'' x 1.75'' Western Flyer tire on an original looking wheel.

dsc04657.jpg

Found this ad too on the same site that above picture was from. I see the ad mention a Sky King as well, on the bottom. Which, judging by pictures it's a more Deluxe version of the Sky Rider?

jet_ad.jpg

Building this bike up, so I'd really like to find a tank for it...and it be the proper one to it.

The exact year would be a start. Look for a single letter at the beginning of the serial number. It should be on the left dropout. 58 is H, 59 is J, (no i) etc to 63 which is N. That's as far as my list goes.
To determine the original color, the inside of the headtube and BB may show the color, unless they removed all the original paint. Also the fork tube will show the color. I don't see any other color in the scratches so they probably sanded off the details on the forks, seat tube, and chain guard. I would still try to see if any of the emblems or details will show. Also try to determine the shape of the missing headbadge. All those are clues to which model it is.
It looks like the chrome cap on the fork crown was added, not AMF.

Took the fork off, it's got the same colour on the steerer tube. Also appears to be a 1962, according to the "M" in the serial number. As far as I can see, there's no pin holes of where the head badge would've been attached either. So sticker headbadge? or a tank that covered the head tube?

Also, while taking the fork off, I noticed there were 2 crown races, removed both and put the one on that "fit" better on and now there's a lot of exposed steerer tube from the locknut to the spacer+upper race. Locknut is threaded all the way down in that past pic too.

P_20201116_135933.jpg

P_20201116_134422.jpg
P_20201116_141747.jpg
P_20201116_141735.jpg

Found this picture of a 62' Jet Pilot, has the chrome top as well as the tank covering the headtube with a headlight, which would explain the lack of head badge. It's also got the same distance between the cantilever tubes and headtube, by the looks of it.
IMG_0314.JPG

If the forks were replaced, back then the girls bikes had longer tubes, that may explain the extra length to the threads. The cap on yours isn't what I remember as being AMF, although I have seen that style. I just can't remember what bike. It has two raised circular portions on each side of the cap while AMF only used one on their chrome caps. Since they added an extra cap to make up the difference in size, that's probably what caused the mark on the tube along with a very slight bend in the forks. I did that once with a girl's shockmaster springer, put a spacer at the bottom to make up the difference and it ruined the fork tube. Your's looks useable though. That part of the forks takes the most stress.
It seems the whole bike was sandblasted, no paint from the original. Except for maybe the inside of the crank housing. Or the underside of the fenders if they weren't chrome originally. The inside of the headtube might show some original color also. You could check the locations of where the decals should have been for traces, but I don't even see any evidence that it was primed, just blasted and one good coat of spray paint.

From the rust and what not, looks like it's an old spray job. Kinda thought it was factory colour at first. Undersides of fenders are the same colour as well, no rust or very little.

I kinda like the colour and patina....though if it's not factory, I might sandblast it and give it a proper paint job....maybe a soft yellow colour and black accents. I dunno. I wanna find a tank for it first though and going by pictures, it's one with the headlight in it.

Latest posts

Back