AMF Daytona

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did get a chance to throw the sprocket on it to see what it would look like with the guard.

UL1IhV.jpg
Chaingard looks familiar :happy:

My whole life has. I'm not going to finish a single build. Just too many bills. My son's truck needs $2,400 in work, I'm still recovering from the holidays... It's going to be a slow finish for them all.
Sorry to hear about the $$ stuff. I get it. Keep us posted with updates and if you get them into another build thread.

After a 6 month break, I’m back at it. This bike is getting a custom sissy bar, and there were a number of delays in its manufacture, so I just stopped. I was going to throw this bike in the RRBO, but I’m only allowed one. So I’ll just continue in here.

On of the biggest hurdles is the rear fender. In the past for my 26” muscle bikes, I would get a rear fender made by Felt called a “Shorty”, which was a duck tail. But Felt got out of the cruiser market and stopped making parts. So I bought a rear full size fender. It won’t work because it had pre-bent mounting dimples and they’d be seen. Not good. So I found a duck tail set that mounts strictly with braces. The front fender is actually the best candidate. So I started tinkering...

Man! I’m digging that frame!

Today I modified the brake brace, meaning I cut it wider, cut the mounting tab shorter and adjusted its bend. I also started cutting the fender to fit. So far so good! This is a major weight off my shoulders with this build! Next I have to modify a pair of braces to fit.
BFB74791-DC23-4677-9205-2F969487C7E4.jpeg

59E7A61B-7534-4340-A18A-06D9C3FF9723.jpeg

Today I modified the brake brace, meaning I cut it wider, cut the mounting tab shorter and adjusted its bend. I also started cutting the fender to fit. So far so good! This is a major weight off my shoulders with this build! Next I have to modify a pair of braces to fit.
View attachment 121204
View attachment 121230
Nice work! I had to do the thing on my 26” Huffy Dragster Muscle Bike build.

Work continued. I got the sissy delivered, which was a huge 6-month step. Before I can mount it, I’m going to get the drive train built so I make sure everything can clear everything else and works together.

After some back and forth deliberation, I’m leaning towards these fender braces for their length, and I’m going to angle them slightly forward. The reasoning: there is a pre-existing hole on the left side of the frame. So I’m going to use that and match it on the right.

But... I still may change my mind and go with a slightly longer brace and mount it more vertically, which would look more correct. The problem with that is the brace is slightly too long, the other is slightly too short, to do that to.

F376CCDE-8B00-450C-B13C-773D563EAF30.jpeg

Apparently they used this frame for a 10 speed, but I don’t know how. To make this Shimano Lark work, I’ve needed to make some modifications. Previously I showed you where I had to grind away a lip so the chain had clearance. Today while mocking things up I’m realizing there isn’t enough clearance at the lower portion or the dropout to allow the derailleur it’s full movement.

F14C4A91-2BA2-4EC5-97D2-6AD2F97DA6A1.jpeg

So I marked it
CC9A1EF6-514D-429C-9D21-78B68439450E.jpeg

saddled up
8E9DC251-D8E3-4D4B-A0D0-710BD2F47CAC.jpeg

and went to Ground Town

9FF64CF1-8BED-41B8-BA5C-F6EB9A82316B.jpeg

It took me a few tries, and you can’t see it in the pics, but I had to grind off more lip to give the cage movement clearance as well as the body. But it’s all good now.

A5412334-5DB9-4F78-A2D1-14635AAE7DF3.jpeg

CBC0331C-4C6A-49B8-982B-5E2A36A1D6EA.jpeg

Got the braces sorted out. After some cutting and drilling to move the mounts in the brace, they will now install behind the sissy clamps. A lot cleaner look.

so I mounted the sissy and seat to see what’s what. Found out there is a lip inside the seat tube, I’m guessing to act as a post stop. Since I got a 15” post, it’s too long, so I’ll have to figure out the height and chop a bit off. But that’s not my big problem. My big problem is how far forward the sissy bar pulls! The standard 18” seat is just ok short on this frame. I’ve never used a modern XL seat, but I think this bike will need it because of those goofy drop outs!

5486E55D-22C2-4778-BD98-BA7E9821C8FA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back