AMERICAN PICKERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, this might be a bit late but since i just got a DVR and what not I've been watching all the episodes. I noticed in a not to late episode they picked up a prewar schwinn that was made into a motor bike with a WW2 era Lauson motor (From what I can tell). As a post war, 50's, DIY Dad and son sort of this it had such a great feel to it and was like the icon of the American dream. Someone made that with their own hands and ingenuity. Blood and sweat. But all the pickers talked about is how much the parts are worth. Vintage piece of American history, DIY history, and talk about it being ripped apart. The thought of that made my eye twitch...

Just my mini rant and 2 cents worth. (I have a desk covered in pennies, I'll keep em coming) :roll:

You are right, they are airing the last of their Kansas trip tonight on History Channel. They came by our farm in Southeast Kansas, Franklin, KS. They had just come through El Dorado and were really excited about the Harley Knucklehead Mike had just got . I think they went to Fort Scott, KS first and then us. If you've ever seen that episode of Food Wars about Chicken Mary's Restaurant on Travel channel in Southeast Kansas, we're real close to them. Anyway, they gave us some advice on how to auction some of my grandpas old antiques and rusty gold. We didn't have any great motorcycle stuff for them unfortunately; If you want to see more of what we have, the family put together this website;

http://www.tonysauction.com

We always used to call his collection "Tony's Museum" so this website tells about his life, WWII and being a POW. Kind of a place to keep a record of everything, and even a place to look at those things we get rid of.

http://www.tonysmuseum.com

Alright guys, listen to this and I'll try to keep it brief. I picked many NOS Schwinn stuff and many bicycles from a home not too far from my house in the winter of this year. Fast forward 6 months later, Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz arrive at the home I picked. They buy some stuff with the TV crew filming and everything. 2 weeks later my parents randomly stop by to see how the homeowner's doing and managed to buy some more stuff and that is where they got news that Mike and Frank were recently there buying stuff. My parents kept this a secret from me because they wanted to see my reaction when we watched the episode. I had interest in some of the stuff my dad was talking to me about that he saw and didn't buy so we go back there about a month ago and my dad buys some old scooters and I buy a knife and an old ladies' bike. The news was still unknown to me but I recently finished making the bike rideable and was eager to sell it as my dad was telling me not to. I didn't understand where he was going so he had to spill the beans that Mike and Frank passed up some of the stuff I bought but I beat them to the NOS Stik-Shifts 6 months earlier! :mrgreen:

In other words, pretty soon there will be in episode of American Pickers that I heard Frank bought a knife next to the one I have and also inspected mine and that they checked out my bike. I know the seller pretty well and got some behind the scenes information about how it all works out. The TV crew tells the seller how to dress and gives them a hidden microphone.

Hopefully this will make the cut. It was in the local newspaper and I heard they had some interesting picks so chances are it'll most likely be on. So next time you watch American Pickers, pay attention to the state they're in and make note that I was at that place before and after it was filmed! :D

These are only a few of my picks. My dad got some stuff too but pay attention to notice these items in the episode!!!

(Episode will be minus the wheels and front fender)
dsc00166as.jpg

(Frank bought a smaller knife and passed this one up)
dsc00073la.jpg

(I got all of this stuff 6 months before the pickers got to it first) :mrgreen:
dsc07513f.jpg

dsc07519s.jpg

schwinnmesa said:
Alright guys, listen to this and I'll try to keep it brief. I picked many NOS Schwinn stuff and many bicycles from a home not too far from my house in the winter of this year. Fast forward 6 months later, Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz arrive at the home I picked. They buy some stuff with the TV crew filming and everything. 2 weeks later my parents randomly stop by to see how the homeowner's doing and managed to buy some more stuff and that is where they got news that Mike and Frank were recently there buying stuff. My parents kept this a secret from me because they wanted to see my reaction when we watched the episode. I had interest in some of the stuff my dad was talking to me about that he saw and didn't buy so we go back there about a month ago and my dad buys some old scooters and I buy a knife and an old ladies' bike. The news was still unknown to me but I recently finished making the bike rideable and was eager to sell it as my dad was telling me not to. I didn't understand where he was going so he had to spill the beans that Mike and Frank passed up some of the stuff I bought but I beat them to the NOS Stik-Shifts 6 months earlier! :mrgreen:

In other words, pretty soon there will be in episode of American Pickers that I heard Frank bought a knife next to the one I have and also inspected mine and that they checked out my bike. I know the seller pretty well and got some behind the scenes information about how it all works out. The TV crew tells the seller how to dress and gives them a hidden microphone.

Hopefully this will make the cut. It was in the local newspaper and I heard they had some interesting picks so chances are it'll most likely be on. So next time you watch American Pickers, pay attention to the state they're in and make note that I was at that place before and after it was filmed! :D

These are only a few of my picks. My dad got some stuff too but pay attention to notice these items in the episode!!!

(Episode will be minus the wheels and front fender)
dsc00166as.jpg

(Frank bought a smaller knife and passed this one up)
dsc00073la.jpg

(I got all of this stuff 6 months before the pickers got to it first) :mrgreen:
dsc07513f.jpg

dsc07519s.jpg

out here, picks are impossible. someone has a 1970's schwinn..."SUPER RARE" $500. Yet just 80 miles down the road.. same bike for $50 :shock:
i just dont get it :?: :)

sam

To some extent I understand the need to make money on everything they buy to cover traveling expence, food, hotel, and expenses. But buying something for $50 and selling for $2,000 now come on...... Have some morals.

Also I think some things on there are staged for ratings, for example the $30 Cushman scooter. Any idiot that knows anything would have known you could throw that on C-list and it'd sell for $100-$200 within the hour.

schwinnmesa said:
I think the Hobo Jack episode is my favorite so far.
I'm with ya on that! Once guys like him are gone, a chapter in American history closes! I just don't see the current generation doing much pickin'. (Besides US that is! :lol: ) -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
schwinnmesa said:
I think the Hobo Jack episode is my favorite so far.
I'm with ya on that! Once guys like him are gone, a chapter in American history closes! I just don't see the current generation doing much pickin'. (Besides US that is! :lol: ) -Adam

Yeah we're an elite breed right here.

started started watching this show on netflix - season 1 - awesome show

Latest posts

Back