AMERICAN PICKERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: AMERICAN PICKERS!!!!

Comes on at 11 EST here, I got the DVR set in case I fall asleep......ZZZZZZzzzzzzz......

I don't like those guys. Getting a good deal on a bike = cool. Taking advantage of a WWII vet = NOT COOL

Way cool....now all of us can see these Midwest barns that every one speaks of. I notice they are in Hooch's stomping ground. After this show gets popular, there will be a "goldrush" in Iowa.

Maybe even at Hooch's pad!!! Now that would be cool.

cman said:
Way cool....now all of us can see these Midwest barns that every one speaks of. I notice they are in Hooch's stomping ground. After this show gets popular, there will be a "goldrush" in Iowa.

A free long spring seat, he paid a good price for that HD sprocket and crank. I know that original stuff is worth more, however, they repro'd that sprocket and in my opinion is made the originals worth less unless they are in really good usable condition. Thank crank and sprocket looked like it had lyers of rust ready to flake off.

$35 for the Schwinn Motorbike however was a STEAL!

Good show though - I don't think it will hurt the hobby. I say it will bring out more bikes from hiding and make them accessible to everyone who collects.

Rat Rod said:
Loose Nut said:
I don't like those guys. Getting a good deal on a bike = cool. Taking advantage of a WWII vet = NOT COOL

When I watched it the first time I came in on it after they had visited the WWII vet...so I hadn't seen that. I felt kind of sorry for that old guy after seeing that segment the second time I watched the show. It's kind of a two way street with these guys. They have all of this junk hoarded away and it looks like it's all rotting. They may actually need the cash more than they need the junk. On the other hand, if the picker guys know what it's worth and still talk them down when they offer a good price then that's kind of sad. I think if the picker guys were really honorable they would go back to that old man's house and give him some more dough if they really got over on him. For example, if they did end up selling that saddle for $5000 and they only paid him $75 then they need to fork it over and help the old man out.

Not totally sure how I feel about their tactics.

My wife and I watched the show and had the same sentiments From the posts on the message board it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I guess that makes for good TV, but it probably won't help the rest of us pickers 8)

Rat Rod said:
The other guys were your typical hoarders who don't want to sell anything even though it's all just rotting away in a barn. I think there is some kind of mental issue going on with someone who has 10-12 barns full of old junk and when you pull an old can out of the piles and piles of stuff the guy says he needs to hang on to that.

What would be ironic is if my six year old son (in 30-40 years) happened upon 10-12 barns full of old junk that belonged to an old guy who has lost it mentally...and sold it for $1.00... :shock:

...either that or if nano-clone technology, in a sub-atomic level ,can copy anything down to the rust, and render all his stuff worthless...oops been watching too much sci-fi channel :mrgreen:

I actually liked the show and I didn't feel they ripped the old guy off, they asked him what he wanted for it and he said 'a couple of hundred', so they gave him $200 for the sword.
If it were you would you give the guy $2,000 for a $2,000 sword? I guess if you were going to keep it forever, but I don't know too many people that wouldn't try to get it for less than what you know its worth.
The little motorcycle the old man said he wanted $50.00 for. If he said he wanted $400 for it (which is what they claimed it was worth), I'd bet it'd still be sitting there.

Also, as far as the sword goes, I'm not that I'm saying this but in today's world I can just hear people saying how disgusting it is that American soldiers took home swords from dead Japanese soldiers as souvenirs.

On the other hand look at it this way, maybe these old guys don't have any family and when they die all this 'junk' ends up in a landfill. Think of how many cool old bikes ended up in a scrap yard 'cause someone came along and just thought it was a junky old bike. Years ago a buddy of mine grabbed a '50s Monark (in garage kept, near perfect condition) years ago that he saw being put out for trash pickup by the family of the bikes owner.
At least these guys are out there trying to save some of this stuff. I saw plenty of stuff that the old guys said no to. They weren't beating anybody up and stealing their stuff!

i saw the promos for the show, ihavent watched it yey though and i dont think i will. during the promo for pickers they were promoting pwan stars at the same time and that show is just stupid. people take in stuff that no sane person would take to a pawn shop and get talked down on the price because its a specialty item. i just think that these are bad ideas for shows. along with ax men and madhouse.

drabe said:
At least these guys are out there trying to save some of this stuff. I saw plenty that the one old guy with the bike said no to. They weren't beating anybody up and stealing their stuff!
Well said :D one person's fair-market value on any given object whether its an old bike or sword, is based on the emotional attachment and the amount of money it takes to sever it... it doesn't have an intrinsic value that is regulated by the government or Wall St. such as currency and precious metals...

...like the old saying goes, "one man's trash..."

Hey...I like Pawn Stars....ha ha.

Well, what I should say is...I like all of the oddball stuff that gets brought into that place and finding out the history about it from the experts they bring in.

What I don't like about the show is how they have to mimic American Chopper by having all of the family members yell and curse at each other and have one stupid guy on the show who's the butt of every joke. That model seems a little played out.

Maybe some of yall should post some positive comments on the American Picker's message board so that it seems a little more balanced.

I think there have been some good points made here on why the show does have a cool factor.

Rat Rod said:
Hey...I like Pawn Stars....ha ha.

Well, what I should say is...I like all of the oddball stuff that gets brought into that place and finding out the history about it from the experts they bring in.

What I don't like about the show is how they have to mimic American Chopper by having all of the family members yell and curse at each other and have one stupid guy on the show who's the butt of every joke. That model seems a little played out.

I agree, I've become somewhat addicted to the show for the same reason, it's interesting to see what people bring in.
I just can't believe what people are willing to take for their stuff!
Like the guy with the boat last night, 'I've got $15,000 invested', 'We'll give you $5,000', 'Ok!'
Some of those people are as sharp as a bowling ball!
I'm sure they are having a great year because of the show, I bet business has gone way up.

My wife and I laughed at that too about the boat.

I think what happens is either the people are in a bad situation and need money fast or else it's all totally staged.

There was also the episode where the guy who owned the moving company ended up getting a real Shelby Cobra body and chassis that was forfeited by the owner after the mover had a lien put on it for no payment. They did pay the guy a good chunk of money for that and also had to spend a lot to finish the car.

Latest posts

Back