American Idiot (Glenstyle Stem/Bratstyle Bars & Seat)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: American Idiot

So the boardtracker bar style on this little middleweight frame wasn't really working for rideability. I switched to some moped bars with a higher rise. Had to cut off off the BMX style cross brace. And since the diameter was too small for the stem, I shimmed them "Glenstyle" (named after my brother-in-law); he told me that back in th day they used to shim their bike stems with nails so they could change out handlebars for old steering wheels from cars. Oh, and a 70s Schwinn head badge to the top of the headlight too.
glenstyle.jpg

Re: American Idiot (Pics Fixed)

Since I went with the upright bars, I decided to make it look like a Japanese Bratstyle Bobber. So I bought this little girl's bike seat for $1.50. The pink is kind of growing on me.
pinkseat.jpg

Re: American Idiot (Pics Fixed)

For the front fender I fabbed a bracket and used this antique stove ornament. Kind of looks like a cowcatcher, but the pic doesn't do it justice.
cowcatcher.jpg

there ya go again. all sideways. wow, I am gettin dizy again. but before I do I just want to tell ya:

ya got yourself a rat there

Outlaw 8)

Its really comming together and I really like the license plate number on the fender stub cool. The stove onnament is a cool shape at the top end you could get rid of the round base part and mount the rest to the end of a short fender stub end like the old fender end trim some bikes had. Let me know if you still need the 7 seatpost made.

Thanks guys.
Gary,
I am going to need to talk to you about how to tdo the ornament tot the fender stub thing, sounds interesting. Think I am going to stick with this little seat and won't be needing the 7 post. I took it for a pretty long ride this weekend and it wasn't bad at all.
Cheers!

I think just cut off the base then drill and tap a couple of 6-32 or the like tap holes through the center piece then tap them and screw from fender bottom or if no tap just through holes and screw and nut .

Latest posts

Back