American Beauty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went into a local antiques shop looking for an old Chevy trunk emblem, and stumbled across this beauty!

1961 according to the serial number.
Spent a few hours cleaning it up with my special weapons Meguier's Quick Detail Spray and 0000 Steel Wool. Then put about 3 coats of Turtle Wax Ice to seal it up. Can't believe how well the chrome came back on the rims!

I plan on putting the rack/baskets on when I get done cleaning up the chain.

Awesome. Schwinn chrome is the stuff of legend!! Whereas Columbia/Westfield chrome, I think they taught the Chinese!! :lol: I had a same color 1960 Speedster, which used the same frame that year. Opalescent green baby!!! -Adam

CRASH said:
Nice! I need to find some 0000 steel wool. I've looked at a few places but haven't found it. Where do you get it?
Thanks! I get it at CARQUEST. I didn't realize it was hard to find. We've always had it in stock, so I just take it for granted I guess. It works without the wax, but it works SO much better with the lubrication, plus it leaves a little coat of wax when you're done.

Rustinkerer said:
Awesome. Schwinn chrome is the stuff of legend!! Whereas Columbia/Westfield chrome, I think they taught the Chinese!! :lol: I had a same color 1960 Speedster, which used the same frame that year. Opalescent green baby!!! -Adam
Thanks! Yeah, that quality is probably why they are as popular as they are...when I hear Chicago, I think Schwinn...and Old Style. Guess I know what to haul in the baskets!

i use to have a 61 speedster looked exactly the same way with the same baskets! i miss that bike dearly. but im so tall i had to to give it apehangers and a 16 inch seat post just so i could ride it.

Sweet bike! I've never seen an American in this color. It seems like the couple year cantilever Speedsters and Jaguars most commonly sported opalescent green.

CRASH said:
Nice! I need to find some 0000 steel wool. I've looked at a few places but haven't found it. Where do you get it?

I always find mine at the old school hardware stores. Same place I've gotta go to find oxalic acid.

Latest posts

Back