aluminati v. 2.0

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAFE ? We don't make bikes to be safe. We make bikes to look GOOD! If they're safe, so be it. Safe bikes are for kids.
Looks GOOD!

It rides quite nicely and shifts sweetly, though I must tell you I crashed it right after I took the last photo. At a fairly nice clip, I hit the bottom of my driveway, the springer allowed the tire to go into the fork crown, which locked the front wheel, sending me over the handlebars. I am banged up and bruised, but nothing is broken. The Silver King remained unscathed. It will soon get its original solid fork back, maybe with truss rods. I've done the same thing with a Monark style fork. Watch out for those dual-fork springers that allow the tire to reach the top of the unsuspended fork.

UH!....Maybe I was wrong! :rolleyes:
.Glad you're OK!

Last edited:
Well, you could have landed in one of those many varieties of cacti that cover the floor of the Sonoran Desert....

Hope you heal fast! Ride On!

Whoa! I never knew that could happen (the locking of the tire bit). I can't remember the last time I had a nasty spill, let alone going over the bars like that. I hope you're feeling better.[/QUOTE]

I hit the bottom of my driveway, the springer allowed the tire to go into the fork crown, which locked the front wheel, sending me over the handlebars. I am banged up and bruised, but nothing is broken.

ouhh , glad nothing is broken , thanks for the reminder , the fork i made for my brothersbike need a harder spring cause it does the same thing when pedaling hard upright , need to fix this asap

It rides quite nicely and shifts sweetly, though I must tell you I crashed it right after I took the last photo. At a fairly nice clip, I hit the bottom of my driveway, the springer allowed the tire to go into the fork crown, which locked the front wheel, sending me over the handlebars. I am banged up and bruised, but nothing is broken. The Silver King remained unscathed. It will soon get its original solid fork back, maybe with truss rods. I've done the same thing with a Monark style fork. Watch out for those dual-fork springers that allow the tire to reach the top of the unsuspended fork.

I did that same thing during last year's build off - hopped a curb and bottomed the fork out, throwing me out into the middle of the street. Added a couple of 1/2" spacers to pre-load the springs, and it took care of that. Hopefully, you've found a similar solution.

Done. I really liked how the the rat-trap springer looked, but I don't want it killing me. The original fork is back on, and , while not a purist, I suppose it belongs with the frame. Maybe truss rods later.
20170517_084321.jpg

I really like the pure simplicity of this build.
Like the others, I'm glad you (for the most part) and the bike survived bottoming out the fork.

IF you ever decide to go with another tire, I think these Continental Retro Rides in brown would look KILLER on this bike.
Minimal logos (the ones that are on there look kinda in line with vibe of the bike).
They're available in 26x2.2, so they 'should' fit
a48b29ad2d7d5a71585a723d6096bc2e.jpg

Cheers on a great bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a mind reader, Dr. I've been thinking about brown tires, too. I have a pair on an old Shelby that I'll be selling soon, so I may swap them out. They're cheap Duros with a brick pattern, and not nearly as nice as the Continentals, but, hey, I already have them! I also think I may get rid of the chain guard: while I love the guard, I believe the bike will look more pure without it. They're never really finished, are they?

Sorry about your bottoming rat trap fork. I had the same problem with balloon tires on a middleweight fork. I extended the spring to rocker struts about an inch and solved the problem. Just a thought if you still wanted to use the springer.

Well, Shelby, old girl . . . we need to talk. Remember when we dressed you up two years ago with those brown tires and old truss rods? A lot has changed since then. I have this new friend; I think you'll like her. Her name is Aluminati and she has been begging me to give her a new look. I was thinking you probably wouldn't mind if I borrowed your tires and truss rods for a while, I could give you some sweet new tires, maybe even match them to your rims. Wouldn't that be nice?
20170525_124458.jpg

There now, Shelby. I must say you look real cute with you new look. You even lost a little weight with those truss rods gone. And the new rubber is so plump and squishy. See, I told you it wouldn't be bad at all.
20170525_134224.jpg

I need to spend some time with Aluminati; she needs some attention. Don't we all? Anyhow Shel, I'll see you soon. Some day the two of you will meet and I'm sure we will all be great friends.

Fat "tired" girls you make the rocking world go round.

SD, love the brown accoutrements! On the chain ring, I would try to mimic the holey and curvy look of the guard. And pop the fork braces on for a look-see. Some more curves up front might tie in the look of that swooping top tube into the rear seat stays....

Latest posts

Back