1. The forum software will be upgraded on Thursday evening (April 2). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative De-rusting Agent?

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by RustySprockets, Jan 30, 2015.

1. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

Have any of you folks tried using this stuff for rust removal? Apparently, it's been all the rage among vintage car restorers for the past several years. The rumor is it can be cut by 10:1 and still be extremely effective. Assuming no one else reports a bad outcome, I may just take-one-for-the-team once warmer weather arrives.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dairyland-milkstone-remover--acid-rinse[​IMG]

2. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will.... at that price, it's not too risky and if we can cut it 10:1, well....dang.

Thanks for the lead.

Yooperman and heartlandcruisers like this.
  3. jerrykr

jerrykr

white vinegar.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. syclesavage

syclesavage

Really let us know how you make out. I'm very interested.

5. karl

karl

6. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Sterosol contains phosphoric acid, probably the best chemical rust remover known as it creates a protective layer of iron phosphate crystals on the derusted part. I use cheap diet cola and animal feed molasses as both contain phosphoric acid and are quite cheap, but not as cheap or as concentrated as Sterosol. The local dairy about a mile from my house has this but I never tried it. I think I will pick some up next time I go for a malt.
    Rusty seat
    [​IMG]
    Molasses dip
    [​IMG]
    After 2 months of dipping in molasses with iron phosphate crystals protecting the steel. The concentrated Sterosol should work faster. Don't let any metal parts touch each other or it will eat a depression where they touch. Don't discover this the way I did.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  7. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

That's very encouraging. I've used vinegar recently and got positive results, but slowly. By all reports, this product sounds like a good prospect...and affordable.

8. seangee

seangee

Cleaning vinegar. Found at the hardware store. Huge step above distilled white vinegar. Who knew?

Karl von Köln likes this.
  9. Danimal

Danimal

I use citric acid powder. It's a food grade preservative and 100% safe. It comes in a powder form and you mix 1 cup per 1 gallon water. Put in your rustiest crud and it's gone in 24 hours. You can keep using the batch until it just gets too nasty, then dump it anywhere (though I usually recycle it with my used coolant/anti freeze. Oh yeah, and it's cheap! 10lb bags for like $20 on ebay will last you years.

TwentyTwenTwen and Bicycle808 like this.
  10. us56456712

us56456712

I got a 10 pound bag of oxalic acid powder, cheap on the net but it takes the chrome plating off as fast as the rust so I am not that impressed with it, vinegar worked better for me. I have tried it on two projects. I also got a 2 pound bag of phosphoric acid powder on the net for cheap but it works slow. I want to try the phosphoric acid a few more times. I want to make it more concentrated to see what happens. So far vinegar and citric acid are as good as any I have tried. I'll post if the phosphoric acid powder is worth messing with.

11. TwentyTwenTwen

TwentyTwenTwen

I recently used oxalic acid powder (sold as Wood Bleach) to remove rust from small paint chips and dings on a steel bike. I made a diluted solution and dipped the whole frame overnight. The rust was gone and there was no other damage to the paint, clear coat or decals. Thanks for the warning about the chrome but I may have to check this out for myself. There are always forum members asking "how to remove rust" on purpose. You might have something here!!!!

pholTmonx likes this.
  12. us56456712

us56456712

Several times with oxalic acid I got a green coating on my steel parts after the rust was gone and I could not remove it so I have given up on Oxalic acid. Someone said that a power washer removes the green but I don't have one. So far the best I have found is phosphoric acid, but you have to leave it in for a week +- depending on the temperature. If I am in a hurry I use diluted Muriatic acid, cheap and powerful. I use Muriatic acid on wheel rims, seats and other small parts. I have been dipping my frames in phosphoric acid. I use a large jet sled for dipping and in the winter I use it to haul firewood.
    Here is a photo with a Schwinn tandem frame in it. Room for 2 or 3 frames at once.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    SILVERKINGPC likes this.
  13. Indyjps

Indyjps

Always open to new derusting method, I also restore cars. Just got a new can of wood bleach oxalic acid.
    Tried these - Evaporust, vinegar, molasses, electrolysis, driveway cleaner, muratic acid.

Let us know the results.

pholTmonx likes this.
  14. pholTmonx

pholTmonx

For small parts i use a large crock pot on warm w vin. Smells awfull but effective.
    Dont plan on use it for anything else again after

15. JesseA421

JesseA421

does the sterosol remove chrome/nickel plating also? or just the rust