Air Pressure

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aired up the tires to 30 psi after a short ride last night, got in the shed this morning and went to move the bike and it wouldn't budge. Got to looking and the tire slipped off the rim and the tube was bulging out. All I'm thinking is it would hurt if this happened while airing it up and assuming your fingers were stuck between the tire and the fork :shock:

I thought maybe the gauge on my pump was off but the rear I aired up at the same time was fine when I checked it with another gauge. Just make sure your tires are seated good folks !!! :wink:

Ahhh there's the earth shattering Ka-boom!
I use baby powder to help things slide around when reseating tires.

Uncle Stretch said:
Usually there is a sonic boom associated with that problem. Then your pants are wet. :shock: :roll:

I imagine it was just a loud thud rather than the shotgun blast tube blowout. Tube is fine, that's the scary part. I guess I must have let enough air out trying to get the air hose on the tire bead must have slipped ... The hole left side of the tire had slipped off the rim and the tube was bulging out like a busted tube of biscuit dough. I'm just imagining fingers being caught in a 48 lbs mouse trap :lol:

I upped mine to 15 and that seems like a whole lot. yeah, it says 30psi on the sidewall but no way. Pugsley racers use about 8 psi in snow. These tires are about as big as on some of my past cars which were 30-32 psi but carrying 2,000 pounds.

rick

On bikes I've always just gone by the gauge that's built in to my air pump. Is that a bad thing?? :?

The pump came from Wal-Mart, so I figure it's closely calibrated for WalGoose tires and other WM supplied bikes. :D

Been my experience that if a pump dial goes to 100 or more, the first 10 to 20 psi are pretty inaccurate, then it is acceptable after that. Most bike tires need 30 or more so it hasn't been an issue before. With the fat tires, 8 - 15 psi is the normal range. 8 psi for better traction in snow or sand, more for hard surface. it really depends on where you ride and how soft of a ride you want. More psi for a bumpier ride, less for a smoother ride. Somehere in between is the least rolling resistance. Too low and you can get pinch flats when you hit rocks or potholes. To high and you shake your teeth out or blow the tire off the rim. For most tires, figure the max pressure is what is imprinted in the side wall. Any thing less is personal preference. But for wallymart tires, the max pressure on the sidewalls is often too much, especially the truly lousy replacement tires they sell in boxes. Roll down tests have shown that over inflating tires won't make them any faster, it just feels faster because you bounce around more on bumps.

looked at tractor supply online and came up empty. really and truly, we want something that maxes out at maybe 25 psi... maybe lower...

My experience is the same, every bike pump I've seen really doesn't register until you've put about 20 psi in it, even if it shows lower on the guage. I'm also thinking about throwing some chain tensioners on this thing. Seems pretty easy for the axle to creep forward on the drive side pedaling while standing on this thing.

Latest posts

Back