Adult Sting-Ray questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been toying with the idea of building a 26" "banana bike" for sometime now. I would like to get the feel as well as the look if possible.When I look at a Sting-Ray I notice how much the seat hangs over the rear wheel. When I see "adult" Ray's it doesnt seem to have the same visual effect. I also see that there are banana seats made for 26" applications, but does it help? I'm not sure if I have ever seen one mounted before. How much longer are they really?Anyone done this before and have pics? :?

I looked for some pic of 26 inchers with the longer banana seats and couldn't find one. On the other hand I did see several pics of them with the smaller seat. Didn't look in proportion with the rest of the bike. I'd get the biggest seat I could for this one.
Sean

i bought one of those extra long velvet banana seats to make a 26" ray.
the before shot. (26" cruiser)
newride.jpg

i flipped the clamp on the bottom of the seat, added a layback seat post and i ended up drilling extra holes in the seat (further back) so my sissy and down tube run paralell.(and to prevent the sissy bar from rendering alot of the seat useless.)
if you look close in the pic below, you'll see where the original sissy bar holes where in the seat (now covered with chrome 8ball license plate bolts)
IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

heres the same bike with flipped clamp and laid back seat post, however its the standard banana
IMG_0743.jpg

and heres the standard banana with no laid back. (different bike same 26" cruiser frame
IMG_0666.jpg

btw the suntour shifter 3-speed works fantastic with a standard mountain bike rear wheel (mine was a 21 speed i believe.) you still only get 3 gears but you can ajust your derailer to give you the highest the lowest and an in between gear. (or set your stops to give you the gears you like best.)

O.K. so after I looked around and got some dimensions, this is what I have discovered. 20" bike gets an 18" seat(length)ifso facto keeping scale,a 26" bike should get a 24" seat, if scale and geometry is to match.They come in 22" length, and as ICYOD was sharp enough to point out, they are drilled in same location for sissybar mount, regardless of difference in length.This explains the difference in appearance!The laidback seatpost addition also adds the length (toward rear) to overcome the 2" deficit.But probably only when the larger seat is re-drilled to compensate for the longer tail on the larger seat.Odd how they did that huh! It just would look strange with a standard (low) sissybar in stock configuration w/o a re-drill! Thanks for the pics, anyone else has more, keep them coming.I plan on using a 62 Typhoon frame so its probably going to appear a bit odd anyway. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!

I have a camelback 26" Collegiate 5 that will eventually become a full size fastback. I mocked it up w/apes and a jaunty wood sissy bar!
SUNP0011.jpg
It's a pretty rusty ride, couldn't get the stem out. It's several slots down on the project list, but I'll get to it eventually! ~Adam

Here's mine. A dumpster find Trek Mtn bike with some bicycledesigner parts:

DSC02960.jpg

it's the only side view I have. That's my bud Ian laughing at how big the silly thing is.

That camelback actually lines up really well! It looks as though the seatpost tube leans back a way as well, so frame geometry is something to consider as well. Thanks for the pics, opening new thought process, and thats what I need!

i went with a 24" frame 'cause i had had one similar before. a 26" springer with a 20 front wheel has a decently proportioned look.

the prices on that site are really decent H&G, thanks!

My pleasure.
Let us know how it goes, and I'll post something up myself once I get further along on mine...

You asked for em! :lol: They've been here for a while. The parts for the woman's Silver King went on the Flightliner frame............Silver King had WAY to much "flex".

028.jpg

004-11.jpg

007-2.jpg

And one more for the heck of it. :roll:

09-2.jpg

i'll throw mine in while i've got photobucket up

Picture098.jpg

i'm a little further along with it, but haven't updated the build thread for it yet

Dr. T, sorry I never followed up on this one.

The canti posts are part of that frame, so they mount just like on any MTB equipped with v brakes or canti's.

No problem, after looking at the pic of the whole bike again, I realized the frame/fork are obviously late model items. It makes sense that the canti brakes would be 'stock'.
Let me know if you're looking for someone to steal it though! :wink:

The seat I used was for a 20" bike. I had to make a piece to move the position where the seat post mounts. By doing that, it made the sissy bars fairly straight, but not perfect. Nobody made a 26" green sparkly seat at the time.
krate.jpg

I noticed the springer "stretch" as well. It would appear that while you eliminated the springer function, you captured the overall look very well!

Latest posts

Back