A Ratoriole Question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So anyone who's into antique balloon tired bikes is familiar with the beautiful and dramatic offerings from Elgin in the mid 1930's. The Bluebird, Blackhawk/Falcon, Robin, and Skylark are the pinnacles of bicycle styling and today command prices that only the deep pocketed collectors can afford. But there is one other bike in the Elgin lineup from that time period that has great lines, but does not get respect it deserves. In my opinion the Elgin Oriole, with it's unique frame design, is one of the most under rated bikes in the world of bicycle collecting. I'll admit that its lack of status is understandable given that it was offered as a base model without any of the frills of it's big brothers. But what if that wasn't the original intention of the Elgin designers? What if the original concept of the Oriole was something much grander, with all the whistles and bells of its contemporaries? What if there had been a prototype created that was deemed too expensive to produce by the bean counters at Sears and so it was scraped in favor of the stripped down version? And what if that prototype were to surface in barn in Maine this summer? What would it look like? This is my thesis for this build off. About 2 years ago I contacted the owner of this bike and made him a fair offer that he graciously accepted. I was planning to build it up for last years build off but it didn't happen. So now I've had two years to ponder what to do with this frame, and now I've got a pile of carefully selected parts and a vivid plan for it. If I can find the time to create the bike that is in my head, this one is going to be a contender. Stay tuned. -Chris

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/BIkew ... sort=3&o=1

http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/BIkew ... sort=3&o=0

Cool! I am definitely looking forward to checking this build out (hope you don't chop it up). You gonna sneak peak us some of the parts?? Good luck!

tailhole said:
Cool! I am definitely looking forward to checking this build out (hope you don't chop it up). You gonna sneak peak us some of the parts?? Good luck!

Don't worry, there will be no Orioles harmed in the making of this bike, but no sneak peaks either sorry, I've got quite an arsenal but don't wanna shoot all guns off right out of the gate.

Welcome to RRB and welcome to BO8. Cool story and cool frame. Take a look at the "how to post photos" so that your images will show up rather than links to images. It will make you thread easier to follow.
Good luck.

Cool Frame! Love the "curved seat mast"! $3 down, $5 a month. Oh, the good ole days!

22.95 for a bike !!!! :shock: I'm with Pick, bring back the good ole days... Thats the price of 2 drinks in a bar here... :?

\
Rockit! said:
Brand new here and already talking smack! The game is afoot! :lol:
Yo, he talks smack over on the CABE too...nah, I'm just kiddin'! Chris welcome to one one cool community of supportive guys, where egos are checked at the door...it's all about fun here!!! Like a big playground for people who think outside of the box and are not governed by rules and traditions! Again welcome and enjoy the BO8 ride! I can't wait to see your progress? :)

fordsnake said:
\
Rockit! said:
Brand new here and already talking smack! The game is afoot! :lol:
Yo, he talks smack over on the CABE too...nah, I'm just kiddin'! Chris welcome to one one cool community of supportive guys, where egos are checked at the door...it's all about fun here!!! Like a big playground for people who think outside of the box and are not governed by rules and traditions! Again welcome and enjoy the BO8 ride! I can't wait to see your progress? :)

No I'll admit it's true, I talk smack over there, and I missed the ego check room on the way in and I've somehow managed to smuggle it in past the guards, which is surprising because its pretty big! I didn't realize what I've said already is considered talking smack. I toned it down dramatically from what I had originally planned to write in my intro, which went something like "I have no doubt that I will walk away the winner of this contest, but for me, it won't be a true victory unless I can make all the other contestants filled with a sense of shame and remorse when they look upon their relatively pathetic contributions to this Build Off" Now that's some smack talk! :shock: I think my biggest challenge will be not getting myself permanently banned from this site before the Build Off ends! I don't take myself too seriously people so please don't take me seriously either. -Chris

Maine has hardened what used to be such a kindly soul! It also makes you speak only in long-form paragraphs.. I like it!

I particularly like the 'bike-that-never-was' premise of the build. It gives an important background for us to follow and consider, as well as giving you a direction to head in as well.. casting yourself in the role of God, the Elgin designer.

Love my Rat Oiole, sweet riding bike. Saw this one on ebay 5-6 years ago $1800 IIRC for a reserve, never sold AFAIK(downloaded all his pics though). Check out the optional shifter sticking up in the rear, only seen a few of those on ebay ever.

Latest posts

Back