A bunch of motorbikes and a Ford!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I need to apologize to Greystoke for not inviting him yesterday. I got a call from Lowell on Friday afternoon telling me he would be at the scrap yard on Saturday. I was supposed to work Saturday, but the weather was supposed to be nice (very uncommon this time of year in Mich) and this would be my last chance until next spring. My dad said he could go and we brought his 4x8 utility trailer just in case! Here is what I found this time.

Picture100-1.jpg

Shelby that has seen better days! Frame and fork are full of holes. A few salvageable parts only.
Picture098-1.jpg

Schwinn "The World" complete and straight springer. Bent rear chain stay.
Picture096-1.jpg

Schwinn motorbike?
Picture095-1.jpg

Another Schwinn?
Picture093-1.jpg

Columbia or CWC?
Picture092-1.jpg

Picture090-1.jpg

Shelby. I finally found a frame that my tank will fit! I have had this tank for a few years, but it didn't fit anything I had.
Picture102-1.jpg

Spaceliner! Ive been wanting one of these for a while now.
Picture010.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

My new 30-31 Ford 2-dr sedan. I think I over paid for this. It didn't look to horrible sitting in the woods, but it took a beating getting out of the woods. Anybody have a pair of doors?!

That is my kind of place, I have that exact same tank that I was told was from a Shelby, Well you just confirmed it, Now I just need to find a Frame.

Bring back a leaf blower you might just find the doors... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, all great bike finds, and the model A is great too! my father and grandfather both have a Model A- my grandfather's is a '31 four door slant windshield (no visor), and my dad's is a '30 deluxe tudor. Both restored. Great stuff!

That's OK Boardtrack, I had a full day here in West MI. Breakfast with the surfers, looked at a house my son might buy, surfed on Lake MIchigan for about 2 hrs. ( small, dying surf) and an open house that evening. Looks like you scored on frames. Yeah, it would be hard to tell what shape some of those vehicles are until you get them off the ground and out of there. Like before, Lowell charges high on some stuff, and decent prices on others. If anyone wants to see the website again, go to http://www.webstermusic.com and look at cars for sale. I have no idea what is left but lots of bike frames for sure. Maybe with the foliage dying you can find more now. Good hunting. Brian

Greystoke said:
That's OK Boardtrack, I had a full day here in West MI. Breakfast with the surfers, looked at a house my son might buy, surfed on Lake MIchigan for about 2 hrs. ( small, dying surf) and an open house that evening. Looks like you scored on frames. Yeah, it would be hard to tell what shape some of those vehicles are until you get them off the ground and out of there. Like before, Lowell charges high on some stuff, and decent prices on others. If anyone wants to see the website again, go to http://www.webstermusic.com and look at cars for sale. I have no idea what is left but lots of bike frames for sure. Maybe with the foliage dying you can find more now. Good hunting. Brian

It really breaks your heart seeing all those wonderful cars and trucks rotting away like that. :(

udallcustombikes said:
Greystoke said:

It really breaks your heart seeing all those wonderful cars and trucks rotting away like that. :(

agreed

sensor said:
nice score on the A :mrgreen:
im guessing the floors pretty much gone? if thats the case you going to channel it?
good luck on the doors(and everything else)!

Chop and channel! Floors are long gone. Debating about the frame. Stock or Z'd, lengthened or standard? I'm leaning towards Z'd and lengthened 3". How is your car coming along?

I've seen yards like that before. There's one up near Oscoda Mi., just acres and acres of old cars, trucks, farm equipment, even a steam locomotive..But it's just like that, all overgrown, hemmed in by trees..You'd need a logging crew, anti-malarial drugs, and a helicopter to get anything out. Of course, it's all private property, and whoever owns it has a special "stash" in somewhat open ground, mostly old race cars and hot rods....Just don't let them see you anywhere near it. If they do, it'll be years before anyone finds your body, if ever. I had a shotgun waved in my direction by some old dude there, and was told to "git". I obeyed.

There really are places like this all over....There's one along U.S. 23 just north of the Michigan Ohio line, that you CAN get into, they're just "funny" about what they sell. I tried to get the owner to sell me a '74 Chevy wagon, for the demo derby, and he just kept saying, "Nawww, it'll just fall apart on 'ya"..I told him, "Let ME worry about that!" and he's just "Nawww". :roll:

deorman said:
In demo, falling apart could be a desirable attribute! :lol:

Quite the opposite. The idea is to keep the car together. That's why we weld everything we can weld, bolt the frame to the body solid, and all the rest of assorted tricks.

deorman said:
Yeah, it was a joke, my friend. :wink:

Duh. My head's been knocked around too much. You weld a car up solid, and YOU absorb all the impact.

Kinda explains alot, now that I think about it.

mines coming along really slow but going forward none the less(im really leaning toward dropping the lid 2 3/4" now and just swapping all the wood for steel).....
one thing(im guessing you already know but if not) make sure you dont chop or channel it until you get the doors on and lined up and then have the body bolted to whatever frame your going to use

id just go for a 32 frame(and of course pinch it so it fits right) and depending on how tall you are or arent chop it 3-5" channel it the height of the frame without z-ing it and run the stock A suspension with a bell drop axle
browse around the hamb awhile tons of great inspiration for fords there

Latest posts

Back