A/A ALTERED update 10/26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: A/A ALTERED

finally a few up dates.

first is the way cool nos seat that i got off hooch. it is amazing although now i am not sure what color to paint the frame.
003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

now onto the rear drop outs. i have not really seen a how to on this and since i have done it a few times before thought i would show a more detailed version. first find two pieces of metal that u want to use for both drop outs and tack weld them together. at this point they dont have to be the same size just close enough to tack together.
004-2.jpg

tack the metal on all four sides and trace the design on the metal. as a note i use thin cardboard for a temp let because i always have it laying around. once laid out get out the angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel and rough out the shape. as a rule i work one edge at a time and once that edge is done toss a few tack welds on as i move around the piece.
005-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

once u have the shape roughed out use a marker to design the axle drop out. this bike will have rear facing design similar to pre war bikes. once marked drill a hole for the inside end then more till as much of the material is removed. this makes cleaning it out much easier.
001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

ok enough of that and back to the build i spent some time mocking them up and am still not sure if this is where i want them. but i had to move them back due to myself making an error on where the axle path was going to be

and this is how it will sit when done at least a bit closer to it
003-1.jpg

Re: A/A ALTERED

after getting the rear drop outs tacked on i did not like how stubby the front end looked. i have wanted to do a leaf spring front but to keep it a bit more simple and take a suggestion from my vp greg i decided to rake the head tube an inch. i wont lie after i whacked the head tube off i sat there looking at it thinking "what have i done?"
096.jpg

it took a bit to figure out the new angle of the dangle and how much to take out of the top tube. i did not want to have to use a new head tube so i took an inch from the top tube to lay it back
100.jpg

099.jpg

i know it does not look like a dramatic difference from before but just wait and at this point i still had my doubts

101.jpg

tacked back on now gotta toss the front end back on and cross fingers it is long enough

103.jpg

in the garage with the front end on. with 7 inches of rear clearance under the frame it translates into about 3 or so of pedal clearance.

outside in the sun i like it with the front end long and raked. now i think i want to drop the rear pivot
104.jpg

it really changed the attitude of the bike and i feel totally into this bike again i was in a bit of a funk with it. now i gotta start looking for a stem and get the rear suspension figured out

I think they are fun to build. You can change anything to anyway you want. Looking good ,and will be looking forward to your finish.

thanks ocd and uncle stretch it is nice to hear nice words from other builders like yourself. more to come soon i promise this time i wana get this sucker ready for paint and chrome

a change has to happen for a few reasons. well one i have given up on the spring rear end it just wont work on this frame the way i want and look the way i want as the more i get into this one the more i want it real low and the rear tire sucked to the seat. well the only way that is gonna happen is if i go hard tail so i will be whacking the rear swing arm off and starting overwith a more normal rear. oh another reason for this was huge issues with chain line being in the swing arm to which i could have changed it with two chain tensioners but then it would have looked funny. arrrrge

Latest posts

Back