81 Schwinn Cruiser 5 for Klunker, will it hold up?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a 81 Cruiser 5, what do you guys think of middle weights for Klunkers. The wheels are heavy duty double flange heavy spoked. I read pros and cons on these frames. Id post pics but my buddy just took off on it! I just want to use it on dirt roads and light single track but don't want to rip the frame in half. Thanks in advance for your input.

Should work, but will be super heavy IMO. May want to add some gussets at the stress points (head tube, bottom bracket) if you're gonna get airborne. Good luck!

Thanks for the replys guys, Im not hardcore just mellow single track and flow trails for this guy. Ill get pics up soon. it looks cool with 2 inch knobbies and spot fake brooks. Might get its own brooks one day.

Keep an eye on the for sale section, I just bought an old Brooks B66 for cheap.

A pic of Spicey Chestnut!
rr bikes 004.JPG

Thanks guys, paints rougher in person and someone painted the rims but its still fun to ride. Stopping on downhills is sketchy but it keeps you on your toes!

If you can find some cable stops and eliminate the mid-section of housing from your rear brake cable your braking action should improve. Another possible help would be to replace the old radial core housing with modern linear core index type.

You will probably have the headset come loose. If it does keep it adjusted to avoid ovalizing the head tube. Klunking is real hard on headsets. The forged fork is better then the stacked plate ones and is strong unless you get it sideways. I have several similar Klunkers and the only real issue is with the headset, pinch flats and occasionally blowing the side plates off the chain. Should be fun and a pretty tough bike.

Latest posts

Back