80's Schwinn Pixie wheel question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently gotten a hold of my wife's old Schwinn Pixie from when she was a kid and learned how to ride a bike on it. The stem is seized to the fork and I cannot replace the headset bearings but they seem to be okay and will do for now. The bottom bracket ones could stand to be replaced as well but that will come at a later date. The only thing stopping me from getting our kids on it, is that the front hard rubber tire is missing. The rear one is intact and seems to be good. I would love to find a replacement for the front to have it original, but I know it will be a rough ride for the kiddos. My main question is if I want to replace both front and rear rim/tires, what size is going to fit? The rims themselves measure 13" and the tire on the rim has a total outside dimension of 16". Will newer rims and tires from a 16" bike fit on the Pixie or is this going to be a special order item?

I would use 12" wheels with pneumatic tires. Bikes with 12" wheels are plentiful and cheap at yard sales. Don't try 16in wheels unless you can confirm a a good fit with a tape measure, or actually mount one on your Pixie for a test fit.
After all simpler methods have been exhausted, you can remove the hollow stem by sawing it off a half inch above the top of the fork neck, and then sawing the length of the stem inside the headset with a hacksaw blade.
I did this to remove an oversized seatpost from a Specialized Globe (It's reeeeeeal fun). I have a post on this site somewhere about all the things I tried to extract that seatpost.
More info on removing stuck seatposts and such can be found on the website of the late Sheldon Brown; Patron Saint of bicycles.

Latest posts

Back