80s GT PRO PERFORMER BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say...at quick glance I nearly overlooked it thinking it was just another cheap kid's 20" bike.

The fact that it was powder blue and had the white tires caused that.

I think I have trained my brain to ignore small bikes in that configuration...ha ha.

Thankfully the vintage GT decal jumped up and smacked me in the face (ala V8 commercials).

While disassembling the bike I found that it has a white HUTCH donut seat clamp.

Wondering what these go for?

I don't know who owned this bike, but I'm glad they threw all kinds of money into it. :D

I spent about 2 hours this evening after I got the kiddos baths and in bed tearing the bike down.

I plan to take the frame/cranks to my LBS tomorrow to let them pull the cranks and BB....I don't trust myself. :?

So far everything seems to be cleaning up nicely. If the stuff wasn't worth so darn much I'd be tempted to keep it.

Anybody have any suggestions on removing ancient duct tape residue off of the frame?

You can see the patch of the stuff up near the neck tube.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

are you using a cleaner wax on this(if not it might take it off)?
if that doesnt work use a rubbing compound(i swear by 3ms 3000 series) followed by a glaze(again i like 3ms finishing glaze)
i promise they will work(kinda pricey though unless youre going to be using them alot)
btw that seat post clamp would look great on my hutch!

sensor said:
are you using a cleaner wax on this(if not it might take it off)?
if that doesnt work use a rubbing compound(i swear by 3ms 3000 series) followed by a glaze(again i like 3ms finishing glaze)
i promise they will work(kinda pricey though unless youre going to be using them alot)
btw that seat post clamp would look great on my hutch!

I did use some 3M cleaner wax on the frame followed up by some nice finishing wax.

That goofy tape residue is sort of thick, dry and hard as a rock.

So much for Red Green's homemade cable guides. :roll:

i had a bottle of tape remover I got from a craft store
its an oil based thing that reminded me of murphys oil soap and it always worked good and didnt harm paint but i dont remember the name

maybe take a hair dryer and heat it abit first then try wiping it off(if most of it comes off them use the cleaner wax)
i know what ya mean...........ive got 20 something year old road tar on my mags that ive got to figure out how to remove!

Steve, I use mineral oil from the hardware store or Home Depot. You can put it on sticker glue and let it sit for a while and then rub it with a paper towel or clean cloth and the glue balls up and comes right off.

So you might get some of that and try it on the tape glue. It's cheap and doesn't harm the paint at all.

I use WD40. I just took some stickers off a frame with a heat gun and cleaned up the residue with wd40.. Spray a little on then rub in circles. Spray some more one the cloth and rub more.
elbow%20grease.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: Please tell me where I can get a case of this stuff.
elbow%20grease.jpg
[/quote]

I might have to quit visiting this part of the board as I keep getting jealous of these finds. Maybe this should be renamed to Steve's Amazing Finds :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, that will be fun to part out and sell.

That is a 600.oo Cranks set right there..

and the bearing look like they are in Great shape!!!!

way to go Steve..
oh yaa..
The hutch Donut's probably worth about 80.oo

again..
Great score Bro..
Kev.

Latest posts

Back