72 Campus Green Stingray just acquired

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7103.JPG
IMG_9375.JPG
IMG_9374.JPG
IMG_9370.JPG
Just picked up this pretty much all original 1972 Campus Green Stingray. Front tire is wrong, and the sprocket was changed out at some point. Overall pretty clean. My Dad took me to Stutsman Sporting Goods (Local Schwinn Dealer) in Corona Ca in 1972 to get my first bike, a Campus Green Stingray, granted it was a Jr, but this bike takes me back.

Last edited:
Looking at a few pics of the Stingrays of that period, it looks like the one speed rear hub had a 20 tooth cog, with a 44 tooth chainwheel.
Yours has what looks like a 17 tooth cog with a 36 tooth chain wheel. They may have put the smaller cog on to get to a similar ratio as original because of the smaller chain wheel.

The red Cruiser in the back is pretty clean looking too! Any info or pictures of that one? The front hub and tire look stout!
The red cruiser is all OG 79 Cruiser, pretty nice shape. I think the wife is calling dibs on it. And behind that is a Copper-tone 67 stingray. Still trying to decide if I do a preservation clean up on it of sell it.

s-l1600.jpg

Very nice!! I have two sky blue Stingrays with standard fenders and whitewalls, but I've always liked the campus green fenderless look too.
In fact, I just saw a super clean 68' campus green fenderless five speed Stingray on e-Bay that sold for 2K that was very tempting..

Hey there Crazy Nick! The 72 cleaned up really nice, pictures don't do it justice. And well, that 68 is now belongs to me. We came to an mutual agreement on the price, and bam, it was mine! I am currently rebuilding the brakes to get them to work good. And I have installed a Stingray Speedo. Not sure why the picture is sideways!

IMG_9723.jpg

IMG_9723.jpg

Wow!!! That's really awesome. I'm happy for you and hate you at the same time ;)
I have some experience with those speedos and you might want to re-think using it. I have a local speedometer shop and the guy there was able to shorten my cable so it looked a lot cleaner, but the problem is the way the Stingray forks flare out, when you tighten the speedo it wants to sit flush against the axle cones and sit flat against the forks but it can't do both, I ended up stripping my axle so I removed it. I honestly think that the speedo was designed specifically for Krate forks since they're straighter they probably don't have that issue. At one point I was going to try and make a washer with a taper to fix the issue, but never got around to that..

Last edited:
View attachment 116334
Wow!!! That's really awesome. I'm happy for you and hate you at the same time ;)
I have some experience with those speedos and you might want to re-think using it.
I have a local speedometer shop and the guy there was able to shorten my cable so it looked a lot cleaner, but the problem is the way the Stingray forks flare out, when you tighten the speedo it wants to sit flush against the axle cones and sit flat against the forks but it can't do both, I ended up stripping my axle so I removed it. I honestly think that the speedo was designed specifically for Krate forks, since they're straighter they probably don't have that issue. At one point I was going to try and make a washer with a taper to fix the issue, but never got around to that..

Yes, you are correct, I noticed that, and how many spacers you need to run for the arms to clear the hub, rim is now off set. I love the way it looks, but I will most likely take it off, beside the cable being to long. Post up a few pics of your Stingrays.

I feel like I'm in the wrong place here, this is the big leagues! Those are some fine Schwinns! I'll just hide my rats under a tarp while I view this thread...:praise:
Hey there MattiThundrrr - No need to hide dem rats, post em up! I have a few Rats, a 67 Coppertone that's currently torn down, and a Flamboyant red 72 currently waiting its preservation rebuild.

Latest posts

Back