'71 Schwinn Stardust 10-Speed (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a good looking combination, probably one of the coolest skinny tire build ive seen!

Thank you!

Took the mylar off the seat for now but may revisit it later. I kind of like it plain but my #1 muscle bike muse does not..:D

Need to get the 2017 sissy finished...hope I can make it look as good last years that's on it now.

sd20.jpg

Found s nice clean set of bars to put on it.

sd21.jpg

Got some work done on the new sissy yesterday.

sissy2.jpg

Been using 2-pc shaft collars. First time using the one piece. Hope the set screw holds it as well as the clamping action of the 2-pc.

sissy3.jpg

Springs are upper springs for a motorcycle fork. They feel a little soft but the shaft collars make it easy to dial in some pre-load.

Added a couple more doodads to the sissy suspension.

sissy4.jpg

shaft collars make it easy to swap parts around. May replace the bottom ones with roll pins ones everything is situated.

sissy5.jpg

Actually achieved the full floating suspension effect with this one.

sd23 (2).jpg

rides real smooth.

sd22.jpg

Last edited:
Shaping up nicely. The seat without the mylar has a less, how do I say this gently? Less 'muscly' or 'manly' look to it? Which, in the case of a girls bike, would be good I think.

Still not sure on those pedals. For me, they are the only thing that doesn't quite fit the style. Maybe just a repro set of rat traps....

rattrappedals.jpg

Or I found these on the 'bay just now....white....clean em up a little bit....

huffygirlspedals.jpg

Awesome work on this from front to back, especially the saddle/suspension.
I agree with @OddJob, while I dig the bear traps, not sure they ‘vibe’ with this bike. That said, they do make for a nice large ‘foot bed’. If you do decide to change pedals a got a set of true NOS rat traps from user ‘Dale Alan’ a couple years back for my MBBO entry.
(Shown here modified for sale)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with @OddJob, while I dig the bear traps, not sure they ‘vibe’ with this bike. That said, they do make for a nice large ‘foot bed’. If you do decide to change pedals a got a set of true NOS rat traps from user ‘Dale Alan’ a couple years back for my MBBO entry.
(Shown here modified for sale)
dc6546646f979c7570766572ac5c8280.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaping up nicely.

Thank you fellas!!

Still not sure on those pedals. For me, they are the only thing that doesn't quite fit the style. Maybe just a repro set of rat traps....

I agree with @OddJob, while I dig the bear traps, not sure they ‘vibe’ with this bike. That said, they do make for a nice large ‘foot bed’.

Thought about them rat traps while on the pedal search but settled on these VP bear traps for the fourth time in a MBBO but I'm a function over form guy all the way. Preffered to have something light and tight plus I love the look of them from the driver's seat.

grip9.jpg

....plus it helps if they're level for the pics.

sd26.jpg

Love that Huffy Tank!

Last edited:
Nice! I've been using those VP bear trap pedals on most of my builds. Love 'em! This bike makes me want to build an all white bike now. How do you like that springer sissy bar? I like the looks of them but have never tried one and don't know if they're worth the extra money.

Nice! I've been using those VP bear trap pedals on most of my builds. Love 'em! This bike makes me want to build an all white bike now. How do you like that springer sissy bar? I like the looks of them but have never tried one and don't know if they're worth the extra money.

Thank you! The springer is nice if you can get the springs just right. This one is really smooth. Just soft enough to be floating. Springer and some decent padding in the seat makes these things pretty comfortable if you're the right size for them.

Still playing around with this Stardust. Been wanting to try and make some cable guides from bicycle spokes so I tried a couple on this.

spoke.jpg

Not so easy to install. This took a while.

spoke1.jpg

Nice and snug.

spoke2.jpg

Weather has been fairly dim for pics but should be able to get some soon.

Was going to make part of this thread is a "where's Waldo" game with the dog pics. I have to crop him out of a lot of photos so I've left bits of him in some. I haven't tried to count them yet but here is an example of an easy one. You can kind of sense the look of shame from having to be seen with me on a girl's bike.

mckethe2.jpg

...and an example of a more difficult one from another thread.

fenders11.jpg

There is another part on the bike made from a bicycle spoke (other than the wheels of course)...anybody care to guess what that is?

For the guess I'm going with: chain guard hanger?

Chad, your inventive use of bike parts is once again putting your builds over the top! That spoke cable guide is genius. And your dog is beautiful. You must have to comb him daily and he looks like he just had a bath too. Ashamed of you riding a girl's bike....maybe just a little. :grin: But as long as he gets to go along, I bet he will overlook that in a heartbeat. Dogs, the most forgiving animal on the planet; humans included.

For the guess I'm going with: chain guard hanger?

Thank you OJ reflector hanger is the other piece made with a recycled spoke. +the dog does love to go on the bike rides.

spoke3.jpg

spoke4.jpg

Finally got a decent pic of the derailleur. It's got a real carbon fiber cage...you know you can rub and scrub them original parts all you want it won't turn them into carbon fiber..:p

mech.jpg

sdf1.jpg

What’s the max psi on those tires? Just curious. I used to ride road bikes years ago and ran 110 in my 27” tired bike. Man that thing was zippy.

What’s the max psi on those tires? Just curious. I used to ride road bikes years ago and ran 110 in my 27” tired bike. Man that thing was zippy.

Thanks ODDER..great excuse for a macro monday pic.

mmm5.jpg

100+ PSI does make for some zippy-ness...:)
grip10.jpg

sdf3 (2).jpg

Dig it! I notice I huge difference in speed going from a 5 speed Stingray to a 5 speed fastback. I’ve always wanted to try a high psi tire on one. After seeing your builds I really want to push it it further. Maybe someday. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back