'71 Schwinn Stardust 10-Speed (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Cassette trick is something I discovered out of necessity, years and years ago , works great .

I really like the way you modernize these old Schwinn's, I bet they ride fantastically !

Thank you Scribble...they are a hoot to ride..

Borrowed the seat/sissy off the yellow Fastback for a test ride...this one has the smoothest steering I think I've ever felt on a bike. She's very buttery.

sd12.jpg

I've thought the same many times. I keep promising myself that one day I'm going to pick up a similar frame and steal every @Chad T modification I can!

Wow thank you...I feel guilty sometimes doing something so easy and fun with you scratch builders slaving away...the mods do make a difference if you like to tool around on an old bike.

Oh wait till you all see today's update :)

Might have to be a bit of a tease until it's finished...:p....will probably take some pics in the morning. Have a lot of details to catch up on too.

Stops for the shift cable. Made this one.

cable4.jpg

Used this Schwinn one.

cable5.jpg

had to remove the self tapping part of the screw to clear the chain.

screw.jpg

magnets for cable guides.

cable6.jpg

"chromed" the top of the guard.

guard2.jpg

Last edited:
Magnets for cable guides....now that's a new one on me~!

It appears the ChadT fastback stable is nearly complete....couple of Mr.'s, a Mrs., and a Junior..... :bigsmile:

Thank you guys!

Just seeing this for the first time. As usual, I love the modern components on the vintage frame and the wheels and tires are perfect! I can always count on a Chad T build to impress! Keep it up. :cool2:

Thank you very much...did the full treatment on the hoops this time but these were fairly easy ones.

Couple pics of the seat on the bike.

sd16 (2).jpg

sd15 (3).jpg

Are you keeping the 'bear claw' style pedals, Chad? TBH, they look a little 'gnarly' for this fair maiden....:wink1:

Is the metallic striping on the seat from a roll of pinstripe? Fits like a glove! :41:

VP pedals getting played out?..:21: Thought about some Schwinn type pedals but thought these would go nice with the bar ends I've got coming.

s-l1600.jpg

Used mylar tape for restoring Mustang steering wheels on the seat.

Chad, to make sure I'm understanding this correctly: You glued on your foam, then you covered the upper pan with a liner of felt?

If that's the case, what's the felt? It looks like it would work easier than trying to get the foam to do that.

I did the same, glued on the foam, trimmed to shape, covered with a non absorbent felt material "batting" then put the cover on. The batting smooths the foam and allows you to slide the cover around as you stretch it. Can also use it to pre-compress your foam.

Last edited:
Love the seat! I'd like to know how that mylar tape holds up to actual riding. I got my foam, I just need some time to put my seat together now.

It holds up better than you'd think. This should work well since it's down in the groove but this vinyl would look good without it too. Just wanted to give it the oem look. Wonder how many of these got parted for that white/mylar seat.

This is a nice piece of vinyl to work with.

You didn't talk about your sissy bar. You took the guts and put them on the outside to give it a springer look? Tell us about that! I'm loving it!

Thank you! That is the Chad T 2016 model springer. Those are rockshox springs with shaft collars for the upper perches. Bottom section is 5/8 sissy with the bottoms of some krate shock tubes for decoration.

Getting ready to start on the 2017 version which will be similar but maybe a bit more dainty.

Chad, to make sure I'm understanding this correctly: You glued on your foam, then you covered the upper pan with a liner of felt?

If that's the case, what's the felt? It looks like it would work easier than trying to get the foam to do that.

It's called dacron and it's cheap. Starts out about 1/2 inch thick and will compress down to nothing almost. Works great for the wrap!

Didn't post this pic because it looks so fuzzy...:p

seat17.jpg

This is what I used. http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-wide-Dac...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Bar ends came in the other day. Cost as much as the grips but I like 'em..:)

They're like little coaster brakes. The shoes expand when you tighten the bolt.

grip7.jpg

grip8.jpg

Had to take them for a test ride.

sd17.jpg

Started work on the sissy suspension for this.

Made a shim for the 7/8 clamp and pressed a couple bushings into it.

clamp.jpg

Think I have all the other odd bits gathered...we'll see..:39:...will probably get rolling on that in the morn.

sissy.jpg

IMG_4237.JPG
I like the seat foam idea! I haven't done a seat but have been collecting pans and materials to do so for some time. I was going to glue a cut piece of 3/16" polyethylene sheet to the pan then wrap in 1/2' medium density polyurethane but the Dacron wrap looks much easier to wrap. Instead, I think I will use the foams cut to shape and glued on then wrap it in that Dacron. The 2 different foam densities should give it a soft feel without bottoming out on my 200 lb butt.

View attachment 64222 I like the seat foam idea! I haven't done a seat but have been collecting pans and materials to do so for some time. I was going to glue a cut piece of 3/16" polyethylene sheet to the pan then wrap in 1/2' medium density polyurethane but the Dacron wrap looks much easier to wrap. Instead, I think I will use the foams cut to shape and glued on then wrap it in that Dacron. The 2 different foam densities should give it a soft feel without bottoming out on my 200 lb butt.

The dacron works good to do the wrap. Smooths the edges of the padding and gives the vinyl a nice tight fit to the pan. Hard to get a decent looking seat with a thick wrap.

Latest posts

Back