'71 Schwinn Stardust 10-Speed (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a few things going on with this current bike.

Discovered there were 2 slightly different sets of Schwinn bars during the seventies. Here is a set of '70 bars and a set of '73 bars.

bars2.jpg

bars.jpg

They both have the same part number but the '70 bars are narrower and more straigh up and down. They look more like the ones on the '71 Stardust in the brochure.

1971_schwinn_stardust.jpg

Never been a big fan of the seventies bars but I like them on the girl's bike.

Drill bit made it through another recessed nut brake install. Going to have to use a v-brake noodle to route the cable since there is no way so swap the hardware around like they did for the girls bikes.

sd5.jpg

Have a nice set of Schwinn levers but will probably use these. I like the Dia Compe MTB levers. These came off of a Rivendel bicycle.

sd4.jpg

Got a cartridge bearing headset from Porkchops. Nice that it uses 32mm cups to fit the Schwinn frame. Didn't want to use the high dollar hub with the gravely Schwinn headset.

head.jpg

Torque the cassette down. Guy at the local bike shop told me this trick. Put the cassette tool in a vise and turn the wheel. Works great.

tork.jpg

Got the seat cover in the mail along with a half yard of equestrian saddle foam to try for the padding.

seat.jpg

Seat on this bike is a one year only item. Looks like this is the only bike to come from the factory with a plain white vinyl with mylar ribs seat.

Going to try and replicate it with this vinyl. First step was to remove the padding since this is not a "tufted" seat. Had to perform a tuftectemy.

seat2.jpg

Now it looks like this...:nerd:

seat3.jpg

Let me know how that equestrian foam works. I still don't have foam for mine yet.

Was cheap so thought I'd give it a try. That gray Pete Seat foam is supposedly available at WalMart but couldn't find any. This equestrian foam is thin but fairly dense. If you re-use the Person's foam you can get a real tight vintage look. Not sure if I'll use this for the wrap. Will have to see how it acts. Should make great padding tho.

My original foam was toast, and had to me forcefully torn/scraped off the pans. So I have to get something else. I looked at Walmart and didn't find anything usable. I'm hoping auto upholstery will work. "Dense" is the goal.

What about the possible use of ‘memory-foam’?

The V’nana on “Bad Finger” is Morgan Horse leather on memory foam – crazy comfy.

My original foam was toast, and had to me forcefully torn/scraped off the pans. So I have to get something else. I looked at Walmart and didn't find anything usable. I'm hoping auto upholstery will work. "Dense" is the goal.
Crash, my go to has always been the closed cell, very dense, camping pad foam. Cuts and shapes nicely, glues well, and is a dream to sit on. To say nothing of the ability to last and retain it's 'integrity'.

What about the possible use of ‘memory-foam’?

The V’nana on “Bad Finger” is Morgan Horse leather on memory foam – crazy comfy.

This equestrian foam is kind of like memory foam. It's really dense. Looks like it's a little too dense to wrap the pan with and achieve a decent look.

Ordered some dacron upholstery wrap that I'm hoping will allow me to use the equestrian foam for a nice seating surface but make it blend in and have very littl padding in the front and back where you need to get the vinyl nice and tight.

I think the grey Pete seat foam is closed cell but not sure. That works really well but if you want your seat to have a vintage look you need to use as little foam as possible.

On this stripped seat I re-used the original padding and stretched it real tight.

seat2_zpsppzuik5u.jpg~original

This one I want to be more of a rider so need to try to blend in some padding.

Original foam on this one was pretty mildewey pewey.

seat4.jpg

Sanded, de-rusted and painted the pan. Also like to straighten, file and smooth the edges of the upper pan as much as possible.

seat6.jpg

When the dacron gets here will see how that works with the cushion. Hopefully can get a nice smooth lean wrap with it.

Got a big box of goodies that's been in town in free shipping limbo where it's transfering from UPS to the post office. That should be here today sometime. Will be able to build the front wheel and possibly have a roller tommorow.

Got the rear brake cable routed. Will cut it shorter once everything is in place. V-brake noodle up the ugly side works great for this. May use some older/duller cable clips.

cable.jpg

cable2.jpg

May actually be able to make this a runner if this package shows up today....:)

Box 'o parts arrived...NOS...(2010..:21:)..derailleur. Shifter is one of the newer designs they sell for cheap but it has their latest technology.

10sp.jpg

Never got a hub that was packaged like this. Looks like a top quality unit.

hub2.jpg

Did a quick test fit of the shifter but it's too much of a scorcher out there to do much else.

One bike building activity that's nice to do in hot weather is sit in the A/C in front of a fan building a wheel. This should be a quick one with the radial lacing.

wheel3.jpg

Just had an idea...with that cool hot rod front hub Chad, any thought to adding some bolder black highlights to the frame?
(can't believe I just said that...changing a perfectly ratty frame patina...:13: )

I just did an enlarge pic of your frame, it's cool as she sits.

Just had an idea...with that cool hot rod front hub Chad, any thought to adding some bolder black highlights to the frame?
(can't believe I just said that...changing a perfectly ratty frame patina...:13: )

I just did an enlarge pic of your frame, it's cool as she sits.

Thank you OJ. Frame probably wont get anything since it's the original white. It does have the black head badge. There will be other black/white/shiny touches though.

This hub is the smoothest I've ever felt. DT Swiss instructions say "When installing hub on a muscle bike lace so the 350 is forward and right side up when the valve is down." So that's what I did...:p

hub3.jpg

It's technically a runner but wont be running too far without a seat. Had the yellow '70 9 speed out to go get some tacos.

sd6.jpg

sd7.jpg

sd8.jpg

She's lookin' slick! Didn't see the black head badge before. That OG patina on the frame has to stay.

Black spoke nipples front and rear...?...nice touch.

Black spoke nipples front and rear...?...nice touch.

Had to use 4 shiny nipples in the rear but yeah black nipples and hubs. Having loads of fun with this bike.

Had to do a little "government work" on the grips for this. Didn't realize they made single locking grips that only locked on the outside so had to cut through the caps on the clamps so the clamps could go towards the inside of the bars.

Used the lathe at work.

grip3.jpg

These were a few bucks cheaper than the sram locking grips I was going to get but now I will need to buy some bar ends so didn't save anything but I like this design. GT Wing Grips.

grip2.jpg

grip1.jpg

Feels good giving this one the treatment. Poor girl got picked clean. Looks like the chrome must have been immaculate.

guard.jpg

Did one swipe with some lemon pledge on the back of the guard. Using a coaster bike works out well for this resto-mod gimmick. Lots cheaper to get one with the guard.

Today is the day of the fall bike swap I was at last year when I called you @Chad T about the fastback parts. It was fun talking with you and connecting with some parts you could use on your build. My mom's 85th birthday party today 100 mi away, so I probably won't make it to the swap (45 mi in the opposite direction). Looks like you're having fun with the Lady....love the grips and fab work!

That was a good score. Those parts were nice. Used the bars, stem, seatpost and kickstand on the yellow Fastback. Had the Fastback fleet out today for some pics. Beatiful fall day here. Something about the muscle bikes with the back to school weather.

sd9.jpg

Evolution of the of the sequential gearbox muscle machines. I wasn't the first to do this on here but I think I've done the most of them.

evo1.jpg

evo2.jpg

Nice having Mon Tues and Weds off with the boy back in school. Itching to slap a seat/sissy off another bike on so I can test this baby. Kid's been wanting to try the yellow Fastback so may take that one and put his Jr seat + short sissy on that temporarily for him.

I really like the way you modernize these old Schwinn's, I bet they ride fantastically !

Oh wait till you all see today's update :)

Latest posts

Back