'71 Schwinn Stardust 10-Speed (Class 1)

Discussion in 'MBBO 2017 BIKES' started by Chad T, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Chad T

Chad T

Been pondering a girl's Schwinn for a while and couldn't pass this one up. 1971 White Stardust. One year only color. Basically a Girls Fastback.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Got that and a set of tires on the way.

[​IMG]

Plan is to use some parts I already have to build a super fast ladies machine. Drivetrain still up in the air but guessing it will end up 9 or 10 speed.

Thinking about a purple seat cover and some purple accents but the pic in the '71 Schwinn Catalog looks kind of sweet in the triple white...:39:

[​IMG]

Should end up being a girls version of last year's bike which has finally been painted.

[​IMG]

Lots of parts searching to do...mouse trigger finger is getting a little itchy...:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. CRASH

CRASH

I build a Slingshot, you build a Slingshot. I build a girls bike, you build a girls bike.

I'm starting to see a pattern! :D

You could use this pattern and recover a Persons seat. It's what I'm doing for my Fastback. The darn thing was $20 more when I bought it!! If you need a seat, I bought an extra when I found one. We could work out a deal. I've also got a high back with hideous flowers all over it, begging to be recovered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STINGRAY-VI...281043?hash=item2cc5cfa613:g:yaEAAOSwux5YN82f

Chad T likes this.
  3. Chad T

Chad T

:21:...Oh I knew that was coming....when I saw you were doing a Fastback and a girls bike it was a no-brainer..:D...I'll be using oven cleaner and sand paper instead of kerosene and wood bleach tho.

Ooooh I like that!! Could put some mylar tape in the groove and that would be similar to the oem seat for this...:39:..I've got a purple Pete seat cover I've been trying to use too.

Thanks CRASH!

4. OddJob

OddJob

@Chad T is in the house! I was wondering if you were lurking in the shadows, or in between the Schwinn muscle bikes!

I'm out of ideas (and frames currently) for muscle bikes, but I'm building a firewood hauling chariot (Chariots of Fire-wood) in the Pedal Car, Wagon, and Wheel Barrow Build Off in the Build Challenges forum. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...l-barrow-build-off.104505/page-5#post-1059753

Good to see you building here Chad!

CRASH and Chad T like this.
  5. CRASH

CRASH

Want a project? I could sell a project I'm not going to get to for a while, if you want a bike.

OddJob and Chad T like this.
  6. OddJob

OddJob

Thanks for the offer Crash. I'm going to be content with my lumber wagon in the PCWWB Build Challenge. Have a pile (8-9) mandolins sitting in my string repair room at the moment, that will take me through September. Couple trees have to come down in our back yard once the ground freezes in November. But I'll be watching you guys!

CRASH and Chad T like this.
  7. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Cool! I hope you do the triple white, always a classy look!

Verrt and Chad T like this.
  8. Chad T

Chad T

Thank you Luke. Original plan was to use up the purple seat cover I have until I saw the catalog. Got a white seat cover coming from that ebay ad CRASH posted. Will probably use some white bmx or mtb grips.

Got a little work done this week. Spread the rear triangle using the old hub remover tool.

spread.jpg

Filed, sanded and polished this chain ring to make it look less Chinese Raceface copy and more Dura-acey/Campy-ish.

No before pic but it was a rough surface with silver anodizing.

ring.jpg

Narrow-wide chain ring makes the shifting like butter with these 1X setups. Going to use a stamped chrome bmx spider like I did on the yellow Fastback above. This one will be geared a bit lower with this 38t ring. Chain line comes out just about perfect with the spider flipped backwards but the chrome on the back is a bit cloudy.

ring2.jpg

Also de-anodized, sanded and polished the hoops.

hoops.jpg

Got spokes ordered and a bunch of other parts on the way.

Settled on this for a front hub. Little more than I wanted to spend but want to lace the front radial so need something decent. Plus I think it looks muscley..:D

[​IMG]

Found this road bike derailleur for a good price. With this I can use the Schwinn cable stop that bolts to the chain guard mount.

[​IMG]

Going to pair that with this 10-speed mtb shifter which should work since the derailleur is the same 1:1 pull as their mtb derailleurs.

[​IMG]

Time to go count up how many black nipples I have...:39:

9. OddJob

OddJob

Stellar parts selection per ushe Chad. That DT front hub def has the muscle look! Your ride will no doubt be the smoothest running machine at the 'finished' line. :thumbsup:

Chad T likes this.
  10. Chad T

Chad T

Thanks OJ...got the rear wheel together today.

wheel2.jpg

wheel1.jpg

Narrowed this mountain bike hub down to modern road bike width..(130mm) by swapping the 7mm spacer on the non-drive side with a 2mm one.

hub.jpg

Still eyeballing the dish but this one looks pretty good.

dish.jpg

She's already looking ornery.

sd2.jpg

Chrome on the guard is in nice shape. Cut, lowered and twisted the guard. Takes some wrestling to get it to clear the front ring, that's spaced out to the proper 1x chainline, and still clear the cranks.

sd3.jpg

Will possibly start on the cables next.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  11. Muttley

Muttley

You should rename it 'Lady Snowblood'.

Chad T likes this.
  12. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

13. Chad T

Chad T

It does...it's marine vinyl. I bought one of those white covers but you can get a yard of it for not a whole lot more than that.

Here is a yard of it in black. Can get a few nanner seats out of a yard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/253090013381?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    RustyGold likes this.
  14. CRASH

CRASH

They come in colors too, but not glitter. :(

Chad T likes this.
  15. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Sweet! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad T likes this.
  16. OddJob

OddJob

Chad, you are on your way to great build here. Are those 24" wheels, fastback size right? The aero styling and roadie-ish tires makes them look like a larger sized wheel / tire combo.

Cool stuff goin' on here!

Chad T likes this.
  17. Chad T

Chad T

Fastback wheels are 20 X 1 3/8 so they are 451mm diameter instead of 406mm like a regular 20 inch wheel. Rims are BMX parts...Alienation Ankle biters. Ironically the 451 BMX wheels are used for kids (mini+junior) BMX competition. These bikes are always a mix of BMX/MTB and Road bike parts. Can get road bike tires for these wheels because they are also used for recumbants. These are the same tires I used on the first Fastback I put together on here. They're way faster rolling than BMX tires.

RustyGold, Indyjps and OddJob like this.
  18. ZygoteLittle

ZygoteLittle

I’m really digging the concept behind this build.

Chad T likes this.
  19. OddJob

OddJob

This is @Chad T 's signature kind of build. Maybe he can post some pics of his former 'modern muscle' builds.....hey, you've got your own genre....Modern Muscle....I like the sound of that!

Chad T likes this.
  20. Chad T

Chad T

Here you go.

1st build on here 9-speed '69 Fastback from 2014 MBBO.

[​IMG]

10-speed Scramble tribute/'76 Stingray 3-speed originally from that same build off.

[​IMG]

9-speed '70 Fastback from last year as shown above.

[​IMG]

Then this one will be the next evolution of the breed. Low gears with tight spacing seem to work well with the short crank muscle bikes. Road bike derailleur with the MTB shifter is the new experiment with this one since it will only have a 28t 1st gear..(front is 38).

Took the orange one for a spin a few weeks ago and noticed how much faster it was with the road bike tires so switching back to the Duranos for this one.