70's VISTA BMX CONVERSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This one was found in a shed via a garage sale. A friend of mine visited the sale and asked if they had any old bikes. The older owner said that he had his son's old bike out in the shed. It appears that the kid used a Vista muscle bike frame and build a cool BMX bike around it...mostly likely in the mid 70's from the parts that were used. Gotta love all of the vintage MX decals.

vista001.jpg

vista002.jpg

vista003.jpg

vista004.jpg

vista005.jpg

vista007.jpg

vista006.jpg

Now THAT is cool. Nice collection of parts and a neat vintage build. Man you find some cool ones!

Super cool peice of old school BMX history.

What model frame?

Not sure what model , I my initial thought was I see a Columbia chain ring then noticed the back bone , that's what brought me to the conclusion of Columbia, probably late 60's early 70's.

From the Mr. Columbia webpage:
"Vista was a brand started by a group of bicycle dealers in the 1960's. The early bikes were made by Columbia. Later, Vista's were made in Japan."
If that's a USA made Columbia frame, the serial number may be on the left dropout. If made before 73, may give the year. I don't see any evidence of a 1971 BMA sticker, unless they scraped it off, so it may be earlier than that.
The bike in the Vista ad doesn't have Columbia dropouts, and your frame doesn't show any marks from where the sissy bar would have contacted the dropouts.
I looked at all the Columbia muscle bike frames, the deluxe special is the only one similar, but none had a straight down tube like yours.

I'm still looking for more Vista info.

Latest posts

Back