1. The first phase of the site update has been completed, but the forum software update will occur one evening this week. Will try to keep everyone posted when I find out an exact day. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

'65 Stingray Nominal Basic

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by Jude Ephesus, Oct 2, 2019.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Shiny, sparkling rust: so wild!

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  2. Psychographic

Psychographic

It's looking great.

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  3. OddJob

OddJob

Boy, with your all black parts so far, any chance you could paint the bars black and go with a black seat cover? I think that would really 'sweeten' this build. The glossy black on the fork and crank set looks killer!

4. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

Thanks OJ: Ive been thinking that actually for a few weeks! I’m down with the blackout... i was thinking on everything! -but my weather is so awful here in upstate NY, I don’t think I can do it right.

Maybe when I get the tires on and everything together, I’ll look at the calendar and see how much time I’ve got left!

Turn my 1 car garage into a paint booth for a half day.

RustyGold and OddJob like this.
  5. OddJob

OddJob

I think you'd kick yourself if you didn't. Check the forecast, there has to be a 40-45 degree day in there somewhere. Heat up the ol' single stall and spray on!

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  6. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

F3EF0484-0FF0-470A-8643-4E8884E12C3F.jpeg My wife won’t argue; I got a few screws loose.... or missing altogether!!

Happy thanksgiving guys.

Gobble till ya wobble...

Then get on a bike!!!! :heart:

7. OddJob

OddJob

Looks like your 'turkey's ' well done Jude! Diggin' that badge and the shiny black cups.

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  8. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Jude, the screws from an old cassette tape fit most headbadges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

Awesome!! This is a great trick! Thanks Dr.! Saved me $10 on fee-bay!

....now, if I can just find an old tape!

Dr. Tankenstein likes this.
  10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Cassette tape, that's like the vcr of DVDs, but for mp3s, right?:39:

11. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

14E9A8F7-8178-4997-AA26-26F98170119D.jpeg Mounted the tubes n tires; I tried to reuse an old tube on the front.

I already got a flat and I haven’t even ridden it yet! Lol. I got another tube around here somewhere!!!

I got the tires on the cheap off eBay. They had a ton of mold release on them. I got most of it off with paint thinner but there’s still some in cracks and crevices. As I get closer to final assembly, I’ll really scrub them.

The rear is a real meat!

12. SpikeFC

SpikeFC

Great set of wheels! I have a soft spot for whole-black wheels.

It make me laugh for a solid 15min :rofl:

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  13. Psychographic

Psychographic

Nice wheels/tires, I too like an all black wheel.

Do you still need screws for the badge? I think I saved them when I took the badge off my Varsity.

14. OddJob

OddJob

Dig the black set up! Those tires have a real beefy re: 'muscly' look to them. Anxious to see it all together.

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  15. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

Thanks PG! I had to laugh, shortly after I took that pic’, my wife was clucking at me about some of the frames I have hanging up in my basement. As she pointed to an old fair lady frame in disgust, I noticed it had a head badge on it!!! as the badge is completely thrashed, it did have 2 nice screws in it!

I nabbed one & put it on the ‘65!!:dance2:

Thanks for the offer!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    sdframe and Psychographic like this.
  16. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

9D3AEA4F-0A32-4200-8960-D9965FAEE8CF.jpeg Meh... swapped out my bad front tube, pulled off some of the mold release that was on the tires and dressed the tires up a bit with some decals.

17. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

93FA09DE-EFEB-43DA-A500-4D475DBDA97A.jpeg 0BDB69BF-BFAC-4C1F-AA15-0F510CD35AF1.jpeg Got my front fork on...,

18. OddJob

OddJob

Oh yeaahhh! Diggin' the decals making those black-on-blacks really pop.

Frame and fork...:thumbsup:!

RustyGold and Jude Ephesus like this.
  19. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Jude, I'm glad someone finally has used the Duplicolor Effex. I just finished reading your whole thread. Folks here have short memories. In 2015 on MBBO#4 I first used it on Gratified, a bare metal build. (and often after, I love it!) Gratified 1.jpg
    This pic may help some of you all to see what EFFEX really does. Like Jude said, it POPS in the sunlight. I like that in low light there is no shadow of dust or flake, it must be a fine powder. I'm glad it works over patina that idea was pure genius.
    I am curious why did you chose the fork you painted black, when that Ashtabula blade fork on page one was available, and is it bent or just an odd angle shot in the first pic above?

Carl.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  20. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

Thanks for your input Carl! The effex paint on your bare metal frame looks epic!!!! I think my patina finish is a little too busy for the effex paint to have such a dramatic impact like it does on your bare metal frame.

On my bike, It does pop in the sun and is a nice twist on the patina frame, but truth be told, I think the biggest bang out of the effex paint is on a solid color bike / part like you did.

The blade fork is cool, but its off a girls bike (I think!) and required to be cut to make it work on this bike. At this point, that’s a bit past my tool and skill set and I didn’t want to pay to have the rework done to that fork.

As far as front ends go, all I knew was I DIDN’T want to put a springer front end on the bike! Lol

I was actually looking for a rat-trap front fork (but would have settled for a huffy rail fork) and I would have paid to have either modified. I found a couple of rat trap front forks on eBay and Craigslist. -They were either super expensive or needed an 8 hour round trip drive + stripped, light body work and the rework of the steer tube to fit onto the bike.

I went to the Trexlertown swap meet in the fall and found this truss fork for $10 that bolted right on with no work. (Other than strip and paint) I really wanted a black rat trap, but the truss fork was cheap, convenient and will still cause Schwinn aficionados to do a double take.

GuitarlCarl likes this.