'59 Kolumbia Klunker..Test ride...and DONE !!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Decisions..Decisions 53 CWC Roadmaster

Slow progress. All paint needs to be stripped and it is slow going..Also made template for a home made wood tank.

Re: Decisions..Decisions 53 CWC Roadmaster update

I really like the US Postal Service Lance Armstrong Tank!!!
:p :mrgreen:

Re: Decisions..Decisions - Bike Change

I would like to use my one bike change option. The CWC turned out to be hiding lots of rust under the repaint and the build will take longer than I thought ( and I want to do it right..not a rushed job)
I have been wanting a vintage bike that I can go for long rides on, but here on the North shore of Long Island that means lots of hills!!
So I am going to take my 1959 (same year I was born) middle weight Columbia straight bar and convert it into a road/lite trail Klunker. This will give me a chance some new things like converting to a 3 piece crank and adding gears.
Here is my progress so far. I will call it the
'59 Kolumbia Klunker

Down to bare metal

Rustolieum self etching primer

Ace Hardware Red Oxide Primer....this may be the color!!!!!!!!

Little mock up tease...but not sure of anything yet

Re: Decisions..Bike Change..now '59 Kolumbia Klunker

Looking good! :p

Re: '59 Kolumbia Klunker..spoke length questions

Got a front wheel to match the sweet 7spd...also got shimano front drum brake..Now I am wondering how to determine the proper spoke length????????? Could use some advice..thanks

Also tried another mockup with an old truss rod..or may try to make my own??? hmmmm...

Re: '59 Kolumbia Klunker..spoke length questions

Great to see another Columbia in the mix.
I just laced up a wheel tonight in only an hour

I used this spoke calculator based on low-n-slo's recommendation.
:arrow: http://www.rockx.eu/cfw/index.htm

I then found this easy video on my cell phone and stepped through the steps for a 3 cross pattern. It was perfect, no accents, good visuals, and good subtitle instructions. In one hour, I was able to lace my first wheel since my Screamer 2 when I was about 14 years old.
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwAoZ-ST0Bc

Re: '59 Kolumbia Klunker..need help with 7speed

Thanks for the help with getting the spoke lengths...they have been ordered.
Now I am having a little trouble aligning the 7speed set up. The cable housing is pointing at an upward angle when the lock washers are put on..is there a way to lower that piece si it is even with the lower bar??? Thanks in advance for any help
*** One more question..what would be the correct number of teeth on front sprocket for this setup? The rear is a 22 tooth.

I'm guessing the locks are single position, or you would have figured it out by now. I seem to recall someone posting different angled ones to compensate for the true horizontal Columbia dropouts. As for sprocket size, that kind of depends whether the gears are overdrive or underdrive. Glad to have been such an enormous help. :roll: Good luck.

my mom has one these pre war 1930 or 1940's bikes it's a cool old girl

Try swapping sides with the alignment washers. I had to on a Dyno frame - level dropouts but open on the rear. Can't remember but you may even have to turn them backward. But they worked perfectly.

I had issues with my anti turn washers on my recent Colson build with rear facing drop outs.. my LBS didn't stock any washers so I modified mine by grinding off the tab and welding on a square washer where I needed it to be. good luck with your build it's coming along nicely.

Thanks for all the advice about the non-turn washers..I found the Shimano website helpful and just ordered what I am hoping are the correct washers.. Now on to the next problem!!!!!
I am trying to figure out what would be the best sprocket to use with this Nexus 7 speed. How many teeth do I want on the front sprocket? The rear hub came with a 22 tooth.. I want to be able to handle some decent size hills....I will be converting to a 3 piece crank

When i was setting up my Nexus 3 i was told by the mechanic at my LBS that factory set ups are typically 2 to 1 front to rear. So with your 22t cog in back you'd want a 44t up front. I was running 46/21 and the gearing was good for general use, sounds like you may want to be in mid 30's if you are wanting to run up hill a lot. http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/internal.html that's a link to a hub gear ratio calculator if you are uber technical. Sheldon Brown also has more data on percentage changes with the Nexus 7 somewhere on his site. Nice thing about that 3 piece will be you can change gears without having to take apart that bottom bracket, so no big sweat if you have to step down the chain ring right?

bebopblu said:
Thanks for all the advice about the non-turn washers..I found the Shimano website helpful and just ordered what I am hoping are the correct washers.. Now on to the next problem!!!!!
I am trying to figure out what would be the best sprocket to use with this Nexus 7 speed. How many teeth do I want on the front sprocket? The rear hub came with a 22 tooth.. I want to be able to handle some decent size hills....I will be converting to a 3 piece crank

Re: '59 Kolumbia Klunker..need advice on front sprocket choice

Thanks for the help Brently...I think I am going with the 42 tooth and if I want to change I can order different size rear chain rings.

Re: '59 Kolumbia Klunker..progress

Slow progress waiting for parts and painting..
Basic mockup..going with a Schwinn front fork and truss rods...3 inch riser bars...7speed hub and front drum brake..3 piece cranks

Inspiration for the tank

Going with a satin white frame with a red glitter front end

Going to try to use an old generator lite for a tail light

Re: '59 Kolumbia Klunker..progress

Have been working on bike but not posting as much as I would have liked so I am going to bring everyone up to speed...
This is a 1959 Columbia middle weight straight bar conversion to a klunker.
Since I last posted I found I was not happy with the paint so had to do it all over again...but many hours of masking and shaking rattle cans, I am satisfied with the paint job.
Did a Rustolium satin white with red front that I added glitter to

The rear has a Nexus 7 speed and to the front I addded drum brake hub with a Schwinn fork and truss rod setup

3 piece crank and stainless chain

Brooks saddle and a set of mtb bars wit a 3inch rise

Little rear fender

And the MUST have skull valve caps with red jewled eyes

Took it out for an 8. mile test ride and it rode great!!!!!!!!!!! I am declaring this bike DONE !!!!!

Latest posts

Back